New A Levels mid-way Assessment

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NeverGiveUp

New A Levels mid-way Assessment

Post by NeverGiveUp »

My DD is in year 12 - the first cohort for the new linear A levels which will be completed in 2017.
They had some assessments for the end of first year of studies and overall performance was well below expectation. This is a school that has a reasonably high academic attainment.

The following information has been received from the head of 6th form:

It should be stressed that the new Linear A Levels present a different challenge from the AS exams taken this time last year, and in many cases girls have had to make the adjustment from GCSE content to full A Level content, which used to be covered in the second, A2 year. Although your daughter has had this explained to her, it can be difficult to experience receiving lower grades than she has previously been used to. To some extent, this an expected part of a linear course and your daughter should not be too disheartened by this.

What does this really mean in very simple terms?
So using the question and answer techniques in past AS papers would not be a useful in revision and testing knowledge?
For those who understand the new requirements, should children therefore not even be looking at the past questions used during the recently set aside regime? If yes, then what are they supposed to used to assist them assess their understanding of the topics and as well as adequately answering the exam questions?
Daogroupie

Re: New A Levels mid-way Assessment

Post by Daogroupie »

Is she taking any AS levels at all? I also have a dd in Y12 and she is taking AS levels in the subjects she may drop and then she has end of year mocks in early July when the A2s are over to give her the necessary data on her progress. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Only some subjects have changed to linear - I did predict this as results were very different before modular A levels.

I wonder what assessments they used; did they explain?

Some schools are taking new AS levels in the linear subjects as a stepping stone - the results don't feed into the A level results [unlike the old] but they may be a good staging post. Any grades will need to be declared on the UCAS application.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:Only some subjects have changed to linear - I did predict this as results were very different before modular A levels.

I wonder what assessments they used; did they explain?

Some schools are taking new AS levels in the linear subjects as a stepping stone - the results don't feed into the A level results [unlike the old] but they may be a good staging post. Any grades will need to be declared on the UCAS application.
DS's school seems to be doing this in the sciences, but not in English/history etc. I guess it is up to the individual department/schools.
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Our school appear to be offering AS exams in everything except Art as far as I know but there may be others I don't know about.

My dd is currently on AS study leave for one week as the most popular Science and Maths (some of the papers) AS levels are all this week. DG
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

My DS is doing whole of A2 maths this year then 2 linear A levels next year plus the whole of FM.

They have been threatened that although A2 maths if the only exam that has any significance(for those doing FM) this yr that unless they get at least a C in the internal exams for the linear A levels they may be refused to pursue it to the full A level.

And of course despite the threats none of the FM class are bothering with any revision for the other linear exams.

What a cock-up, they should of introduced Maths at the same time as the other linear A levels or kept it modular for all subjects until maths was sorted out.

btw as an aside my DS tells me for maths, only the AS modules have to be declared(certificated/cashed-in)- unless they specifically ask for the UMS of individual modules as Cambrige does. If one is doing the full A2 in year 12 and if one drops a grade in the A2 modules these can be resat in year 13 without any negative consequences with regards to university application in yr 13(with the exception of Cambridge) G55 is this true -ie do not all modules have to declared on UCAS application forms is they have been done?
NeverGiveUp

Post by NeverGiveUp »

Daogroupie wrote:Is she taking any AS levels at all? I also have a dd in Y12 and she is taking AS levels in the subjects she may drop and then she has end of year mocks in early July when the A2s are over to give her the necessary data on her progress. DG
No AS for the subjects - only external exams will be the A levels next year, hence the internal tests to assist them ascertain their position.
Don't however understand the head saying their performance is disheartening as the tests were aligned to what they would have been doing in the 'old' A2.
Is the 'old' AS therefore not suitable to be used for self assessment? Is this a completely different syllabus with mark schemes?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You have to declare AS grades - not normally those of individual modules unless the uni specifically wants/asks for them.

Maths was delayed because of the new GCSE ... quite a few subjects are still modular. If you look at the thread on 'timeline of reform' it explains it.

[Maths should be recashed next year to maximise the grades - applied modules can be in Maths OR Further Maths according to specific rules which I won't bore anyone with]
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:[Maths should be recashed next year to maximise the grades - applied modules can be in Maths OR Further Maths according to specific rules which I won't bore anyone with]
Go ahead G55 bore me to death if you must -go on, knock yourself out . I need to get my head around this- there is nothing worse than having the feeling that your own son is trying to hoodwink his own mother :oops:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catseye - pm me the modules he is doing this year and what he's doing next year - we will be going off topic on this thread otherwise.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now