RGS and AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tropicmama

RGS and AGS

Post by tropicmama »

Since my last post and query, I have been feeling a bit more positive as in the last week I have seen the enthusiastic attitude my DS has been approaching his test preparation work :D No arguments yet, whoop! I now feel a bit more excited to look into schools now that perhaps he has a fighting chance to pass. At the moment, my DS' choice of school (should he pass) wavers between RGS and AGS. Although we are within catchment for AGS, RGS is actually only about 0.5 miles further than AGS is from where we live. I suppose my questions are:

1. Should he put RGS as his first choice and AGS as his second, would it jeopardise a space in AGS because we aren't in catchment for RGS?

2. I tried searching for similar threads but can't seem to find any but I was wondering if anyone can let me know how their DC finds either AGS or RGS? I have heard things about both schools but wanted first hand information/feedback, especially since the feedback I've heard are from people who attended either school many years ago already. I don't think these two schools are often compared as they are not within the same catchment area and indeed, I don't want to start any arguments about which is better. I know they are both excellent but from what I gather, seem to have quite a different culture.

At the moment, this might not even be a valid query as we aren't in catchment for RGS but I thought I would ask anyway as I've found this forum amazingly useful and full of information. I also feel that my DS, based on what I've heard about the two schools, would fit one better than the other just based on his personality and approach in everything (sport, music, academics, social).
scary mum

Re: RGS and AGS

Post by scary mum »

You should put them schools in genuine order of preference. They do not know where you have put them - if he doesn't get into your first choice, the second immediately becomes the first, if you see what I mean. Have you looked at the allocation profiles for previous years at the top of this section?

Eta : http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=46176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which one did you prefer when you went round?

Which is easier to get to?

I would have said they are very similar and the main difference would be ethnic mix.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Both schools have Heads who started in their roles in September 2015, so it's worth asking about what changes they have lined up.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

I have 2 boys at RGS, it is a very good school with very strong academic results.

However it is a strict school with quite a no nonsense approach to the boys, they give out detentions like confetti :lol: :lol:

My boys are happy there, but initially in year 7 it does take a bit of adapting to.

I would go and look around on a normal school day not the open evening, this is when you really see a school as it is on a typical day.
tropicmama

Post by tropicmama »

Thank you, I really appreciate your responses.

Both schools are very easy to get to, AGS is a short bus trip away (by either school bus or public transportation), RGS is pretty much the same, one bus ride away with perhaps a short walk added. Both are within a 20-minute drive from us, less if there is no traffic.

My DS initially preferred RGS which surprised me as he is very laidback and sporty (football ironically, which RGS seems to frown upon), whereas I got the feeling that RGS boys were quite formal and quite intense (not generalising, just basing this on the students present during a visit). Our AGS guides were a lot more chatty, and bonded really well with my DS.

Guest55, I'm curious about your comment about the ethnic mix - which school would you say is more ethnically diverse or did you mean more the make-up of the mix?

Jabba7, I have contacted both schools just now to try and arrange a school day visit. Thanks for the tip :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I will PM you.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

I have a son in Year 7 at AGS. To be honest he really struggled in the first term. They are really strict as well and do hand out detentions quite a bit.

However by the end of the first term he loved it and today has actually said he wants to go to school rather than half term (this is a first in all his school life) - this is more to do with friends and messing about at lunch time than lessons!

Sport is a big part of life as is music. There are always house competitions in lots of different things. Homework doesn't seem to have taken over our life - he doesn't seem to get too much!

However, there is NO football in years 7 & 8 (teams or lessons) as they focus on rugby.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No football! A good reason to look at the Floyd ...
tropicmama

Post by tropicmama »

Will definitely have to revisit Floyd, we will go to the next open morning/evening. Thankfully, my DS is quite flexible when it comes to sports as he loves quite a lot of them, including rugby, basketball and cricket. Football remains top though (much to my frustration - I prefer watching him in other sports).

Wow, detentions seem to be rampant in both RGS and AGS - whatever do boys get these for?

Perhaps we should look at JHGS too, we've never been there or even seen the school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now