Chances of getting into superselectives like Wilson

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
soys

Chances of getting into superselectives like Wilson

Post by soys »

Hi,

I am a new kid in the block - i mean for the forum.
DS got 224 in Sutton mock test A. Was surprised to see the areas he didn't do very well with his English.

Just for guidance, would like to understand if this kind of score stands a chance of getting into Wilsons?

Thanks!
htm123

Re: Chances of getting into superselectives like Wilson

Post by htm123 »

Hi there,
If your child would like/want to cooperate with you and work towards improving area of weaknesses I would not hesitate going ahead with preparation. Mock tests are good for getting your child used to the environment. Our DS took Mock test last year... was a bit shocked at how long the queue was but the invigilators gave them wise advise before the test which my DS found very reassuring & resulted in him enjoying taking tests after the Mock.
If I remember well he told me that the style of questioning between the three grammar schools was slightly different making him a bit frustrated as he had to think very deep before answering but he didn't come across anything he didn't learn at school.
For example some of his Maths questions in the real exams required very good comprehension skills; therefore, I would say that your child's result will be down to his knowledge, speed and ability to cope with exam pressure; however, the 'admission' mark will be decided by the higher scorer on the day of the exam I think... I hope I'm correct. Hope your child will have a go at taking the tests. Mine did and was offered Wilson's school place too.
Good luck!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

soys wrote:Hi,

I am a new kid in the block - i mean for the forum.
DS got 224 in Sutton mock test A. Was surprised to see the areas he didn't do very well with his English.

Just for guidance, would like to understand if this kind of score stands a chance of getting into Wilsons?

Thanks!
Most likely, yes. DS has a couple of friends with similar scores in the mock last year who were offered Wilson's on the Offer Day.

The pass mark depends on how well the cohort performs overall on the exam day, so it will vary from year to year. However, based on your DS's mock result, his score places him within the top 22%, so pretty good. Don't let your DS become complacent as a lot depends on what happens on the day, but as long as he keeps it up, he should be fine. Good luck! :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

soys wrote:Just for guidance, would like to understand if this kind of score stands a chance of getting into Wilsons?
Firstly, I don't like the term "superselective". It is misleading, these schools are normal schools and the kids applying to them are normal. Do not be put off applying.
Secondly, do not be too judgmental about the results of ANY test the whole point is to get sufficient practice that the candidate is able to perform their best on the day.
Thirdly, it is possible to improve significantly from mock days to the real thing. Determine areas of weakness and do some practice. If coming from the state sector you may well find that your child has not even covered some of the material they will be tested on (entrance tests are before end of Y6).
Finally, there will be some genius candidates and it looks like your child is not in that category but the lowest scoring child to get a place will be far more normal.
You can only do your best, be well prepared and have a back-up.
Good Luck
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Good advise from SVE. Mocks are good exam experience. Use the feedback wisely.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Sutton used to give an indication of where the selective score was - I though it was that a score of 216 was a good indication. If a child scores less than 200 then our primary school would have a word (ie give up) unless it was clear that this was an unusual result. 224 would mean to me that it would be worth putting in the effort needed over the next few months, as he would have a good chance, provided his written English is up to scratch.
soys

Re: Chances of getting into Wilson

Post by soys »

hi everyone,

Many thanks for all the responses . of course, we will continue to work with our DS and he is determined to work to get into his school of choice. Also, I think DS probably didn't have a good day like any other, so his maths scores were lower than what we have seen with other tests at home and Wallington mock A(239). DS also said the Wallington mocks were a little easier than the Sutton mock A.I understand and appreciate that the mock scores are indicative and i shouldn't hold on to them and be judgemental. DS is signed up to do Mock B and that concludes all mocks we have lined up and hopefully that is enough experience to get him prepared for the real day in terms of environment/masses etc. onwards and upwards and sure will give it a try!

Thanks again!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have the marks of 47 students this year and last year and I can see clearly that the Maths was a lot harder this year.

Last year the Maths results were a lot higher than the English and there were Seven students on higher marks in Maths last year, one on 100% and six on 98%. This year 97% was the highest mark.

One of my parents has gone through the data and for each mark she has the total percentage of students who got that mark and above for English and Maths separately. If you tell me your maths mark, (you can pm me if you would prefer) I can tell you that percentage for your mark and you will probably find it is a lot better than you think.

For example only 8.7% of students got 80% and above in maths and less than a quarter (24.8%) got 70% and above. Less than half (46.7%) got 60% and above and the three quarters mark is not reached until 45%.

Maths is the easiest of the papers to fix. It is likely that your student encountered areas that they had not yet been taught and you have plenty of time to sort that out. In my opinion graphs, timetables, equations and angles are a lot more straightforward to come to grips with than implicit references in Comprehension. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now