Nonsuch & Wallington - Stage 1 Shortlisting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

keerthi

Nonsuch & Wallington - Stage 1 Shortlisting

Post by keerthi »

Hello All,

Please can someone provide inputs on whether the Stage 1 shortlisting nos. will be individually calculated for Nonsuch and Wallington - assuming that together they have 420 places,

1. will the top 420 + X no. of girls will be shortlisted irrespective of the overall rank (Boys+Girls) in SET for stage 2?

2. Also, will the stage 1 shortlisting process is purely on rank or catchment and relative % applies

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.
twindad

Re: Nonsuch & Wallington - Stage 1 Shortlisting

Post by twindad »

1.0 At stage 1 , all schools in consortium will have individual shortlisting. Perhaps 4-5 times of it's capacity.

2.0 Stage 1 has nothing to do with catchment area or any other criteria.
keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Thanks a lot

The confusion started for me when the Stage 2 for Nonsuch and Wallington is a single stage 2 test for this year, leaving the total PAN to 420. Last year, I can assume that for Nonsuch assuming with a PAN of 210, Stage 2 invites will be sent for top X%, but with a combined stage 2, I was confused on how the split up will be for each school / stage 2.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Keerthi,

I would assume Nonsuch and Wallington Girls will invite somewhere around a 1000 girls to sit Stage 2, based on their ranking from Stage 1.

Official numbers for last September will be available in 2017 Secondary Schools Transfer booklet, but if it's of any help, below are the numbers of girls who sat Stage 2 in September 2015:

Nonsuch:
Places available for September 2016: 210
Applications received for September 2015: 784
Number of children who sat the Selective Eligibility Test for 2015: Over 5000(boys and girls)
Number of girls who sat the Nonsuch Second Stage Entrance Examination for 2015: Nearly 1000

Wallington High Girls:
Places available for September 2016: 210
Applications received for September 2015: 803
Number of children who sat the test for 2015: 2126 children sat the Joint SET test, 860 girls sat the WHSG Second Stage Test

One can safely assume that most girls sat for both schools, so I don't think the number going through to Stage 2 will be different with the joint exam.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Hi PurpleDuck,

Really helpful information, Thanks a lot.

I was not aware of the 5,000 No. for Stage 1
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

keerthi wrote:Hi PurpleDuck,

Really helpful information, Thanks a lot.

I was not aware of the 5,000 No. for Stage 1
Bear in mind that was boys and girls in total. Wallington said 2126 sat stage 1 so that must have been just the girls.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

I'd like to just double-check my understanding of those numbers. I'll focus on the Wallington Girls numbers, as they seem more precise.

If 2126 girls sat the Selective Eligibility Test and 860 girls sat the WHSG Second Stage Test, that's a 40% SET pass rate, right? (I'm assuming that all girls who passed the SET opted to sit the second stage test, although there may have been some drop-outs.)

If they then had 803 applications, then 93% of the 40% who passed the SET must have 'passed' the second stage test. (By 'passed' I mean that they were told they could put Wallington Girls on their CAF.)

I agree that it seems reasonable to assume that most girls would have put both schools on the CAF (I'm assuming that's what "applications received" means), so 803 girls (the higher number) had passed the SET and the second stage (at one or both schools) and were chasing 420 places. Many will have had these schools as a back-up, so many of the girls will have ended up at higher-ranked schools.

Have I got all that about right?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Yes.

Experience across the boys schools, and other similar schools is that you need to have a pool of at least 3x PAN at the end of the stage 2 in order to safely fill your spaces. Given that the schools can mark the papers between them, I could see them being happy to increase the numbers passing stage 2 to 1,000, possibly even more, though I agree that many girls will sit for both. But bearing in mind that there are only 1200 odd year 5 girls in the entire Sutton borough, with say only 300-500 of those having a reasonable chance of passing SET, I would still estimate that there are a significant number of those passing SET who will only name one school as they're sitting it as a back up for Tiffin, Newstead, Kent etc. Many of the local comps have gone to banding tests, so people may not have a "banker" comp, and will only put schools that are definitely feasible to avoid the risk of being allocated the closest unsubscribed school.

The schools will obviously have the benefit of knowing the postcodes of those sitting, and will probably take that into account when deciding how many to bring back after SET.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

This year is going to be slightly different in that there won't be girls who have passed one school and not the other. Out of my daughters cohort there were actually quite a lot who only passed one of the two. Not sure what impact that will have on the numbers that pass the second stage.
There is no room for the girls to have a bad day going forward.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now