Illness and A Levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesh

Illness and A Levels

Post by Minesh »

Can anyone advise - DN has Chronic fatique relapse
is it better to soldier on and sit A2s whilst ill (all medical evidence at hand) and obviously do less well as its not the exam but the preparation time lost and ask for special considerations (max. 5%?) or not sit at all? IF the student is not well enough to sit what supporting evidence is used? Mocks, predicted or given grade between what ever 3 'higher' students achieved and 3 'lower' students achieved based on school's submission? DN is very conscientious - Hist, Maths, FM + Eng.
thank you
Tinkers

Re: Illness and A Levels

Post by Tinkers »

Having had it myself, I guess it depends how bad it is this time.
It's also worth making sure any unis know so they can may adjust their offers.
Sorry short post. I'm on my phone at work.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have a look here:

http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/acce ... sideration

Presumably the school is already aware that your niece is not working at the level which she has previously demonstrated she is capable of? Has she already discussed her problems with her tutor / admissions officer?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Always sit the exam if at all possible - presumably there are rest breaks etc?

Get the Head/Head of Sixth to write to unis now ie before results so consideration is built in when entry decisions are made (this is before schools/candidates get results).

Have they applied for DSA for uni?
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

Thank you all. That is helpful - such a shame for consceintious student
what is DSA?
Interesting -is it better to sit exam at all cost then?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Has any A2 coursework been completed?

Talk to school -

DSA is this:
https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-al ... s/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KB

Post by KB »

It's essential to start the DSA process asap if going straight to uni in the autumn.
Most of the initial application can be done for her as long as she checks & signs it.
It's a long process with various assessments needed and there is usually a waiting list so unlikely to get appointments before exams are finished.
It's definitely worth doing. She may well get funding for extra support and/or travel costs if mobility is an issue.

Although the school is closed for half term there may be office staff available or she may have been given an emergency contact. Otherwise email / copy to the school exam officer , head of sixth form and form tutor. Likely that at least one of them will check emails over the holiday.

Very best wishes to her.
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

Thank you all - I will pass on that useful information. Yes school aware of past illness - think some A2 Hist controlled ass. completed.
Always get clear and straight forward answers - another 'net' was tried but not as good.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now