The Kent test insert

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

catherinesara71

The Kent test insert

Post by catherinesara71 »

My son is taking the Kent Test in Sep. Will he be allowed to use a highlighter pen or underline text on the insert? I teach exams skills in the English GCSE and we use this technique. Will my son be allowed to do this?
PettswoodFiona

Re: The Kent test insert

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The instructions about what you can take to the test are included in a letter. DD did hers last year and I can't remember exactly what it said but I do know it was a clear pencil case with pencil, rubber, sharpener and pen. Maybe a ruler. I am pretty certain it didn't didn't mention a highlighter. You don't really have much time in the test for much more than a mark against questions you want to revisit. They did check too as one of DD's friends who had taken a snack in a cardboard wrapper had the wrapper removed. I can't remember if they are allowed to write on the test paper or just get scrap paper - I have a feeling it is the latter as DD said her mock tests where she had to juggle question paper, scrap paper and answer paper were all helpful as that was what happened in the test.
catherinesara71

It's the insert. By reading the text and underlining saves valuable re reading time in answering the question. I know they won't be allowed to write on their answer sheet. Thank you for reply though.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi,
Maybe you'd like to post this question in the Kent section? Or ask one of the moderators to move it there?

I'm pretty sure children can write on the paper, but it's best to check with people who have taken it recently.

Salsa
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

catherinesara71 wrote:It's the insert. By reading the text and underlining saves valuable re reading time in answering the question. I know they won't be allowed to write on their answer sheet. Thank you for reply though.
The answer sheet is to used but soley for marking the grid. You have to be precise in how you mark the box otherwise it can be discounted. What do you mean by the insert? Do you mean the question paper? DD remembers being asked to write on scrap but she did do other tests so it may not be 100% accurate. Also time on Kent is so pressured you generally either know the answer and mark it on the answer sheet or move on, not much time for underlining let alone re-reading. Think Letts ten minute tests in half the time and that is about it. I wouldn't get too focused on one method but create versatility as if something changes or the instructions don't permit something it can throw a child and although it is nice to know what might happen a versatile child able to adapt a goal eg marking somehow the questions they want to revisit rather than in a rigid way will hold them in good stead.
catherinesara71

Thank you for that information. Much appreciated.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I will move this to Kent for you.
Yoyo
catherinesara71

Thank you
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not in your area, but 100% with PettswoodFiona with the advice to foster versatility. I would add that the most important advice that you can give your DSis to read the instructions on the paper (and listen very carefully to the spoken instructions). After a recent years' exam (not in either of our areas, but I can't recall where), someone posted that they were concerned that their child wouldn't score as highly as they should have, because s/he had marked the answers in the way that the tutor had said to, despite the fact that the instructions actually on the paper in front of them were.quite clear that it should be done another way :shock: .

Assuming that it is okay to mark the question sheet, but not to take a highlighter into the exam, would it help to suggest that your DS just makes a small pencil / pen mark under words if would normally highlight? But also be prepared not to have time to do it...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Going back to the original question, I am pretty sure that pens are not allowed in the exam. When you get the letter from Kent with the exam arrangements, you would find the list of equipment a child is allowed to take. I threw away DS's letter recently but I am pretty sure it didn't include a pen.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now