advice for going to the next school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
choirboysmum

advice for going to the next school

Post by choirboysmum »

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask you some advice on preparing for the senior schools. My DS is a chorister in a major cathedral church. They graduate at 13 so we are left with mostly independent schools for the next stage. He loves Eton because he grew up watching those smart dressed boys he just wants to be one of them one day. He's very bright. I think if he's in a normal prep he should be able to get in but because of the work involved being a chorister he has little time for academic study during term time so I'm worried he won't be able to pass the pre-test. At the moment I think we'll aim for Eton but have other schools in the plan too but I have no idea where to start to prepare for getting into any of them.

1. What should we do in order to prepare the pre-test? I'm aware it's computer based and you are not advised to prepare for it but I've also heard many people do prepare for it. If so, anyone knows how and where we can seek help from?

2. Because he only have holidays to catch up the academic study I'm thinking to do intensive courses during the summer. Can anyone advise me what kind of intensive courses I should be looking for? Would it be 13+ courses or 11+ courses? If 13+ I'm worried he's too young for it as the course seem to be all aimed at Y6 or 7 children. So should we go for 11+ preparation courses? But would they be different format, etc.?

Thanks very much in advance!
doodles

Re: advice for going to the next school

Post by doodles »

If he is in the choir school and it runs until the end of yr8 then I would anticipate that the school would prepare the boys for Common Entrance. I would suggest your first port of call should be the headmaster / director of studies / head of year as they will have a good idea of where your DS should be aiming for. I'm sure in his report to the target schools your headmaster will mention your ds's choral obligations.

I know at ds's prep school the headmaster used to meet the parents of those staying on after yr6 to discuss possible achievable options. The boys then sat the relevant pre-tests and then the CE. Be aware that the pre-tests are often earlier than you would expect.

I would recommend a chat with the school first. Good luck
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
choirboysmum

Post by choirboysmum »

Thanks doodles!

Yes the school prepares them for CE. The boys generally all get music scholarships to senior schools. I spoke with the Head but still am not sure how to do more preparation from my side. I kind of feel I need to do more at home and can't rely totally on his school because schools like Eton are very difficult to get in in my opinion. Do other parents just rely on their DC's prep?
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

does the prep get lots into Eton? last year? ever? that would be worth knowing.

Many parents do extra work, but I don't know if it's really necessary in many cases. You will never know for sure! every kid is different and who knows what they have learnt in their class.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now