Nonsuch waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bdowrich

Nonsuch waiting list

Post by bdowrich »

Please may ask any experienced forum users for their thoughts.

DD is currently (25/05/2016) No 12 on waiting list for OOC list but we hope to exchange on new home which will move her to the IC list but my question is the "exchange of contract" date sufficient or will the school/LA action the completion date?
Ideally DD would like to enjoy every last moment at primary school before the move but this may compromise her attending the new girls day on July 6th.

Really don't want to commit to dates naively with the solicitors next week, to realise that she could possibly enjoy everything :?
Last edited by bdowrich on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moon unit

Re: Nonsuch waiting list

Post by Moon unit »

Hope that works out for you.
Have you got another local option you would be happy with if the waiting list doesn't move?
bdowrich

Post by bdowrich »

Haven't started to consider that as yet, just trying to focus on the move :oops:
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

If I had been in your shoes I would be moving heaven and earth to get completed by no later than 20th June (or whenever the appeal hearings are). You need to be permanently resident at your new address, so not just completed, but actually moved in. Exchange of contracts is immaterial.

I assume you have a back-up school in case there is no movement on the WL at this stage (which may be the case in the event of successful appeals)?
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

It's a complete unknown as to whether the waiting list will move but my guess is the in catchment one won't move very much as local people who have accepted are not that likely to change their plans now. I think it's quite a risky strategy assuming that a place will come up.
I'd look at all the options before you move for a place that might not be available.
Wishing you all the best.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Yes, it must be frustrating having a score that would have got a place of Offer Day had you been in catchment, but that is why there is a catchment.

OP, it may be worth looking at the following document:
https://www.sutton.gov.uk/downloads/fil ... tion_sheet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see on Offer Day all the Sutton schools were full, though Carshalton Girls, Overton Grange and Stanley Park have short waiting lists, so depending on where you move to you might get a space. The document lists the out of borough schools which have places, but these are usually undersubscribed for a reason.

Presumably you currently have an offer for a school?
bdowrich

Post by bdowrich »

Thank you for your comments, link and feedback, this is helpful information :)

Will keep ploughing away to speed up the completion :oops:
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

If you can move before the appeals are heard then I would be in contact with the school too. They shouldn't really hold any places until after the appeals, but they might be tempted to if one is released just before. Are you certain that you score would put you at the top of the IC W/L?

If not, then I urge you to look at the school you have been assigned to see whether it is better than the alternatives available to you after the move.
workingmom

Post by workingmom »

Sorry if I would be asking something which is widely known.

I thought the catchment areas are specified by schools to limit children from applying from Out of catchment.

Can it be possible that one is out of catchment when filing CAF and then later moves in the area and gets considered.

I thought the address we provide in the CAF application is the one used to determine your catchment and nothing can change after that.

May be I am wrong.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Nonsuch has open spaces as well as catchment places, so anyone can apply initially. The address for the initial allocation is the address as on 31 October (though Sutton LA have allowed late moves up to the 1st week of December)

After National Offer Day the waitlist then moves according to the address at the point that the spaces come up. So if you move between Dec and end Feb, it is till your previous address that counts. After National Offer date it is your current permanent address which is relevant.

Given all Sutton schools are full, moving into catchment after initial allocation is a high risk strategy.