NFER Non-Verbal Reasoning test section 5 Questions 11 and 12

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

watty

NFER Non-Verbal Reasoning test section 5 Questions 11 and 12

Post by watty »

Hello.

Can anyone explain the answers to these two questions to me? NFER Test 11a, Non verbal Reasoning, section 5 the last 2 questions, 11 and 12.

I've read in other topics that this paper is the hardest NVR but this is ridiculous!

Thanks in advance......
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Watty,

Will have a look this evening, unless somebody solves it first :)

I do remember some being near impossible even working backwards from the answer :(

stevew61
znoto

Post by znoto »

my child had done it ...that particular section on similarities she scored 10 out of 12..she scored question 11 right but missed question 12 ..she thought the answer was B not C..But she had gone through it again and knows why it is C.

Post by Guest »

my child had done it ...that particular section on similarities she scored 10 out of 12..she scored question 11 right but missed question 12 ..she thought the answer was B not C..But she had gone through it again and knows why it is C.
Could you explain how the answer works. Thank you
jellywobble

NFER NVR section 5

Post by jellywobble »

(with apologies to those without the question)

Well daughter and I also got these wrong, but did get a reason, once seeing the answer!
We used a process of elimination, so:

Q11:
Not B, cos there's a bit missing
Not E, cos line must be a diagonal.
Then looking at the set again, right angle shapes have vertical lines and other shapes have slanted lines, so:
Not C, cos its a right angle,but slants
Not A, cos not right angle, but vertical lines
Hence answer must be D

Q12:
Not D, cos not 4 lines across
Not E, cos not 4 lines
Not A, cos not 4 lines
The only other thing in common, in the set, is that each shape has a white circle
Hence, not B, but C is the answer.

Has anyone got better explanations?
Watty

Not sure about answer to question 11!

Post by Watty »

Jellywobble, I can see where you're coming from with Question 12 but I think you're reasoning for Question 11 is a bit shaky. Surely the way to work these out is to find patterns and things in common between the two examples and extrapolate them to get the answer. By saying that right angle shapes have vertical lines and other shapes have slanted lines you're basing this on a sample of 1 so it isn't necessarily true.

Remember that our 10 year old children are meant to be doing these questions on their own in less than a minute and the answers should be plain and clear cut, not wishy washy like this one.

I looked at when this paper was published, 1997 and cannot believe that this has not been brought to NFER in those 9 years. I myself have emailed them but they have not bothered to answer me. After all, I'm only a customer who has paid good money for these papers. If the actual 11+ has stupid questions in it like this sample then I question the validity of the whole exercise....
mf

non-verbal Test a Section 5 11 and 12

Post by mf »

The important thing is to note what the two given ones have in common, ignoring all differences.

Question 11 They are both 4 sided shapes with diagonals, cross-shading and straight base and top lines.
Therefore b is out because it is five sided.
C is out because the shading is parallel to the diagonal.
E is out because it isn't a diagonal.
A is out because base and top of shape are slanting.
That leaves D.

Question 12. They both have 4 lines and one white dot.
C is the only one which meets this criteria. It is irrelevant that it actually has 2 white dots.
lhermann

Feel a bit better now

Post by lhermann »

... but I am an Oxbridge graduate (and went to a Grammar school) and couldn't do these 2 questions at all! I dread to think how my 10-year-old will react, except that at least they are the last 2 on the paper What are they testing exactly, intelligence/ability or knowing how the papers work?
stevew61

Re: Feel a bit better now

Post by stevew61 »

lhermann wrote:... but I couldn't do these 2 questions at all!
Welcome to the mad world of elevenplus exams. :)

Part of the "test" is the use of time and not getting stuck, if you can not see the pattern guess A and move on.

It is 70% ability and 30% how they do on the day, it is not about getting 100% just being in the top group on the day.

DS1 developed a technique of letting go, i.e. the question is ambiguous but I will move on. DS2 is Dr Spock I can see him spending the whole exam on one question and then arguing with the invigilator :cry: however I will develop a strategy to get him back on track. :wink:

Best wishes,

stevew61