11+ test papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rash

11+ test papers

Post by Rash »

Hi, my dd asked me a question yesterday, 'how would the real test paper look like?'. Any ideas please because I don't have a clue. All I know is the there are going to be two papers on the day. Do they both contain equally NVR, VR, maths and English or is it different please?
Thanks in advance!
ToadMum

Re: 11+ test papers

Post by ToadMum »

Presumably you have already shown her the familiarisation booklet and the info about the test on the Bucks CC website
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... sfer-test/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The familiarisation test will also help.
Rash

Post by Rash »

No I haven't:(only saw it myself today.
What I really wanted to know is the layout of the papers. Are they both going to contain all four topics or is it two each over the two papers. Also, the balance in the question ie 20 NVR 20 VR etc
Thanks for your reply
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I think that someone commented very recently on another thread that the proportions of the different types of question in CEM exams is variable. Unless the information from the local authority definitively states that there will be x numerical reasoning questions / y NVR etc; personally, I would just prepare your child along the lines of, "there will be different types of questions which are designed to find out how good you are at English / Maths / 'working things out' - remember to listen very carefully to what you are told by the invigilator and do exactly what the written instructions on the paper tell you to do". Rather than have them go to pieces because you told them that there would only be one cloze passage and no cubes and on the day there were three of each, or whatever.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Rash - are you in Bucks? All prmary schools give a talk to Year 5 about the test.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

When you had your talk in school you should have been given the Familiarisation Booklet which ToadMum linked to above. This shows you the type of layout / question paper / types of answers and also the types of instructions given in the actual test.

On the Tuesday before the actual test the children will sit a practice paper in their classrooms - it is just one paper and will be a different length from the 2 which they do for the real test. Based on previous years this will be harder then the familiarisation paper but easier then the real thing. The instructions etc in this will be the same as for the actual test.

The real test is two papers taken with (I think) approx 30 min break between them. The papers are 45 mins long. Based on previous years they will both contain elements of VR, NVR and Maths (maybe not NVR - I seem to remember when DS took it is was only in 1 paper??) but they will not have equal amounts of each in both. Expect the unexpected though so this could well be different in September. There will be no information as to the number of different sections or the timings of these sections. Some will be very short (based on previous years). The test will be over and done with by mid morning then the children all seem to spend the rest of the day eating cake with their friends and have forgotten all about it by the end of school :D

Your head teacher should be able to answer any other queries.

Many of the same questions have also been answered here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=47188
Rash

Post by Rash »

Yes guest55 in Bucks. I prob missed the talk or perhaps it hasn't happened yet. Thank you all for your replies. I will look in to the links attached:)
Rash

Post by Rash »

Hi another question please.
Are there still code questions etc in the 11+ test
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't think so - someone else will confirm.

Many schools put the powerpoint from the Year 5 presentation on their websites - Bucks provide the slides to all schools. Try googling Bucks heads secondary transfer presentation or similar.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now