Year 6 to Year 7: Bridging the gap post-SATs

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chimera-ma

Year 6 to Year 7: Bridging the gap post-SATs

Post by chimera-ma »

My DS is in his final term of a community primary school. The May SATs are fading from consciousness and I am worried that there is so little real work going on in the classroom now (is that what other parents have found?) that I need to get into gear to help him retain what he has learned this year and prepare for Year 7.

I'm also concerned that going to grammar school where many of the Year 7 cohort will have come from better primaries, both state and private, there may be some real gaps in DS's knowledge outside of the Maths/English curricula SATs were based on.

We'll be visiting museums, historical sites, and doing some science projects, but what more formal study at home would help the transition? Can anyone recommend KS3 materials to use and subjects/areas to prioritise before September? I prefer 'little and often' as a study approach - nothing too onerous.

Thanking you in advance. :)
Daogroupie

Re: Year 6 to Year 7: Bridging the gap post-SATs

Post by Daogroupie »

There are a couple of great books, Getting ready for Secondary school English and Getting Ready for Secondary school maths. Can't remember the publisher but I am sure an ebay or amazon search would bring them up.

Most students go backwards in the last term of Y6 and over the summer holidays so you are wise to keep things ticking over. But any minute now some other posters will pop to say how your ds should be enjoying his childhood. Sport and Music fine but in some circles enjoying English and Maths is a no no. DG
KB

Post by KB »

I would just stick to the basics so he doesn't forget the building bricks in English and maths. But as you say it doesn't take much say every other day to keep on track.

Year 7 will cover what he needs to move forward but he might find it less stressful if he hasn't fallen backwards.

The last few weeks of year 6 are a special time ( hopefully ) to be enjoyed.

As much as academics over the summer I would focus on fostering independence and preparing in a practical way.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

https://emptyclassroomday.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of ways to have fun as well as learn :)
doodles

Post by doodles »

I would advocate lots of fun, sport, music, art, drama etc (sorry DAO) whatever he enjoys, but keep on top of the basics too. Lots of libraries run summer holiday reading competitions/schemes which both of mine enjoyed. I think you are local to me and if you can some of the holiday courses around where are fun, anything from computing to nature and pottery. As G55 says lots of informal ways of keeping up to speed.

Where is he off to in September? Learning to read a bus and train timetable has flummoxed many a talented child :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD is growing in so many ways by not being at school for the last term of Y6. We've found that giving her some choice in what she wants to do and considering if that has cost implications, is fun or serious (good to have a balance), identifying what she needs to improve on and researching how to do it etc - all make her less reliant on us (however much I might want her to be...) and the journey to start analysing what makes her happy and what fills in the gaps in her knowledge will suit the style of students that we've seen go through the grammar school she will be attending.

She is getting used to using her Oystercard and arranging her own social engagements (under some defined rules).

On the academic side she is using Khan Academy (US biased but don't dismiss it as it has a lot of relevant content and online lessons with video clips if they get stuck). Also some Letts KS3 workbooks.

We have worked our way through lots of London walks including Brunel walks etc which are both fun and educational. I don't think going back to school will be looked on badly by DD but we have had so much fun with all the alternative learning options for this short time.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

On the academic side I would use http://www.nrich.maths.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - probem solving is the best preparation for Secondary.

The Primary Maths challenge or the UKMT Junior challenge are also fun.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Guest55 wrote:https://emptyclassroomday.org.uk/

Lots of ways to have fun as well as learn :)
We are doing this I have organised workshops , ranging from making bird feeders to Andy Goldsworthy art, via bug hunts and suncatchers.
Really looking forward to it

The vast majority of schools are still teaching, it doesn't all have to be work in books ( thank goodness)

We have been building bug hotels, started rehearsing the end of term production, working with younger children, writing blogs about our research project for the British Trust for Ornithology.

Year 6 definitely don't stop working after SATs
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Gosh, just came back to this - what a wealth of suggestions! Thank you all. I'll be busy now - and will encourage DS to read through/check out links, suggestions too. :D
tian

Post by tian »

chimera-ma wrote:My DS is in his final term of a community primary school. The May SATs are fading from consciousness and I am worried that there is so little real work going on in the classroom now (is that what other parents have found?) that I need to get into gear to help him retain what he has learned this year and prepare for Year 7.

I'm also concerned that going to grammar school where many of the Year 7 cohort will have come from better primaries, both state and private, there may be some real gaps in DS's knowledge outside of the Maths/English curricula SATs were based on.

We'll be visiting museums, historical sites, and doing some science projects, but what more formal study at home would help the transition? Can anyone recommend KS3 materials to use and subjects/areas to prioritise before September? I prefer 'little and often' as a study approach - nothing too onerous.

Thanking you in advance. :)

Hi Chimera-ma
I am on the same situation as u. In addition since they finished the SATS, they haven't done any math al all in addition history, geography and science is like what's this. Ok relaxing but I think is a littke too much. So I have decided to do some "homework" at home free stress, just to keep his brain busy.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now