11+ diy

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dplumb

11+ diy

Post by dplumb »

Hi

can someone please suggest good maths books to prepare for 11+ at home?

thanks
PurpleDuck

Re: 11+ diy

Post by PurpleDuck »

Hi dplumb and welcome to the forum.

Re. maths books, it depends on how good your DC's maths is. For example, CGP 11+ maths workbooks are very good if your DC is good at maths generally, but if you think they may have some gaps, it may be worth starting with any KS2 maths revision book from WHSmith, suitable for your DC's age. You could also try Bond's Maths 'Up to Speed' and ''Stretch' series, as they have sections organised by topics, rather than just mixed question assessment papers. Working through topics will help identify potential weakness areas, if any, and help focus practice on what needs improvement. Lett's 11+ series is also worth looking at, as well as Mental Arithmetics by Schofield and Sims. Later on, you can move on to practice test papers by CGP and First Past The Post.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Hi,
We only used CGP practise papers for Maths. I would agree if there are specific areas of weakness those can be worked on with general KS2 maths books.
We also went over long multiplication and division a lot and printed off practise sheets from the internet - not 11+ related.
Good luck with it all.
cazien

Post by cazien »

We had a quick look at all the 11+ books in a famous book store :wink: and (dismissing all the GL Assessment ones as DD was sitting the CEM Test) DD thought the Bond books would challenge her more than CGP. But as booellesmum and PurpleDuck states, there are plenty of ordinary KS2 books and internet papers available to help with Maths preparation.
dplumb

Post by dplumb »

Thanks all, my DS is fairly good in maths but he keeps forgetting concepts. I will start with CGP and Bond's.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In my opinion CGP and First past the post are in a different league to Bond. Is your DS in Y4 or Y5? DG
dplumb

Post by dplumb »

DS is in Y5, hope he still has time to prepare.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Are these for state grammars or independent schools? If the latter not everything in the test may be covered by KS2. Also some state grammars also test beyond the KS2 curriculum, unfair as that may seem, St Olaves is one I hear from other parents that is particularly tough so do research what type of maths will be needed and adapt accordingly. Some tests are also very much about speed, others accuracy. Kent is very tight on time in the maths but some others less so. DD found the Letts ten minute tests helpful for the state grammars and past papers of independents for the more advanced maths.
dplumb

Post by dplumb »

Thanks PettswoodFiona

We are limiting ourselves to state grammars in and around Sutton. My DS is struggling with time and I feel that's because he keeps forgetting concepts. Sometimes he can solve a question on a topic in couple of mins since he remember concept, and few weeks later he takes 5-10 mins for similar question.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

When you say forgetting concepts, are you referring to basics or strategies involved in solving a question?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now