11+ syllabus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ConcernedMum

11+ syllabus

Post by ConcernedMum »

My daughter will take the CEM test in September. I didn't get a tutor (expense + over-complacency I guess) and have now left it too late so I am working with her.
As I understand it CEM is heavily based on the National Curriculum; will it only cover year 5 or will year 6 topics be included? The reason I am asking is that recently, in Maths, there has been a move from letting able children get ahead to extending their work within the curriculum for their own year (I don't know if that's general or just her school - think it's general), so this year she is repeating a lot of year 5 topics/covering new topics which have been included for year 5 rather than focussing on the year 6 curriculum.
Do the tests allow for the fact that the children are only at the start of year 6 or is it assumed that grammar school candidates will be working a year ahead of their age?
enema

Re: 11+ syllabus

Post by enema »

DD passed CEM last year and we worked to be ahead of whatever was taught in school in Y5 e.g. bought the Y6 Maths on Target book at the start of Y5 and made sure she was able to work to that level by the date of the exam (start of Y6). This seemed to be at reasonable level for the exam.

I do not think the tests specify exactly what levels they test at eg Y5 or 6. We took the approach of covering all bases (although ignored blumming roman numerals which did not come up).
ninanina

Post by ninanina »

We are preparing our dc or the 2016 test as well. To be honest, I have never looked at the syllabus for year 5 or year 6. We have just been doing tests and explaining/teaching everything that our dc didn't know that came up in tests. There are a lot of topics (especially in maths) that we taught him at home because they appeared in tests, but they haven't had at school yet (he is end of year 5 now). And some of the things that they did have at school, were not covered in depth to give him enough confidence at tackling questions at the harder end of spectrum. So I would suggest to focus more on the tests and let them guide you, because what they are doing at school is definitely not enough.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is very sound advice. Use the 11 plus papers to find out what is not known. Also try and do a mock as soon as possible, this will really help you find out where her level is compared to those she will be competing against. DG
rionatheprincess

Post by rionatheprincess »

Can anyone tell me how many comprehension are there in last year cem exam. I already used FPTP and CGP for comprehension. If anyone can suggest any comprehension book or website apart from that is really helpful. Thanks in advance,
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

We've done a few papers. I had to teach her BODMAS which they haven't done at school (and since they are still year 5 I don't think you'd expect them to have) - also to help her a lot with algebra which they haven't covered. This is beginning to look very close to a test of attainment (which is legal) rather than ability; the maths required is beyond the national curriculum for Year 5 (and year 6 won't really have started when they do the test). I realise the books of papers aren't representative but it doesn't seem right.
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

I spoke to a lovely lady at Sale Grammar who said that in terms of content there should be nothing beyond the year 5 curriculum. However the children may be asked to use their knowledge in ways they haven't previously come across. Feeling more reassured.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now