Crypt sports mouth guard

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Watermelon8

Crypt sports mouth guard

Post by Watermelon8 »

Can anyone tell me what the take up is on buying the rugby gum shields thru the Opro leaflet given out in the Crypt welcome pack. Seems v expensive....but then I know absolutely nothing about them or what they cost! :lol:
kenyancowgirl

Re: Crypt sports mouth guard

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not your area, but I am known as a great advocate of a proper fitting mouth guard - you only have one set of teeth and the boil in the bag ones are, frankly, rubbish.

Opro are not cheap but they are proper. Our school dropped them recently in favour of a local dentist (who is a parent at the school) who does them now. Same process as Opro but comes back to ensure a proper fit. They plain ones they do are about £30 but they cost more with fancy symbols etc. Ring your dentist and see if they do them? A good fitted one can be adjusted if they still have teeth that are dropping out (Opro don't do this) and in our experience fit properly for at least two years, if not longer.

In short, I cannot recommend a decent mouth guard enough. Boil in the bag ones are a false economy on so many levels.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD had a mouth guard made by our dentist, think it cost £45. Compared to a 'boil in a bag' one, which tbh aren't that much cheaper, the fit was so so so much better.

She did have to have one of the boil ones for a while, as she was having orthodontic treatment that meant her jaws were been expanded. The dentist said she would need a proper one redone every few weeks. If she was really into her hockey, then it might have been worth it but she plays hockey at school for about 6 weeks a year.

After the money we have spent on orthodontics, if she decides to carry on playing next year, she will definitely have another down by the dentist.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Great thanks....will ring my dentist tomorrow!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

It's pointless for us as my ds just chews them. I watch him playing and he is running around with it half hanging out of his mouth. Drives me mad :evil: . Sorry I'm no help
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

We had the DIY version of OPRO, only because we were away on holiday when they came to school to do them at the end of the summer. I think I spoilt at least three before I got one that fitted OK. Our dentist does not seem interested/never did them and I'd like one done properly. Is it possible to go to any dentist's to have it done, or would it have to be the one we are registered with?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Amber

Post by Amber »

PurpleDuck wrote:We had the DIY version of OPRO, only because we were away on holiday when they came to school to do them at the end of the summer. I think I spoilt at least three before I got one that fitted OK. Our dentist does not seem interested/never did them and I'd like one done properly. Is it possible to go to any dentist's to have it done, or would it have to be the one we are registered with?
My husband has done impressions in school car parks and in our kitchen before now from parents wanting a decent mouth guard! I am amazed if your dentist isn't interested - they usually don't cost any more than the Opro ones and you have the benefit of a little after-sales service if needed. Don't forget though that teenagers mouths are changing and growing and that a mouth guard fitted in Y7 won't still be doing the job in Y10. As DH says though, teeth are the only bit of the skeleton which don't mend, and it is a very difficult business dealing with broken or lost teeth. If your dentist won't do it, either change dentist or ring around a few.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Amber wrote:
PurpleDuck wrote:We had the DIY version of OPRO, only because we were away on holiday when they came to school to do them at the end of the summer. I think I spoilt at least three before I got one that fitted OK. Our dentist does not seem interested/never did them and I'd like one done properly. Is it possible to go to any dentist's to have it done, or would it have to be the one we are registered with?
My husband has done impressions in school car parks and in our kitchen before now from parents wanting a decent mouth guard! I am amazed if your dentist isn't interested - they usually don't cost any more than the Opro ones and you have the benefit of a little after-sales service if needed. Don't forget though that teenagers mouths are changing and growing and that a mouth guard fitted in Y7 won't still be doing the job in Y10. As DH says though, teeth are the only bit of the skeleton which don't mend, and it is a very difficult business dealing with broken or lost teeth. If your dentist won't do it, either change dentist or ring around a few.
Thanks, Amber. I'll try our dentist again - no idea why he wasn't interested in the past. DS1 went off rugby and never played hockey, so hasn't needed a mouth guard since last year anyway, but I need to get a decent one for DS2. I'm with you/your DH and KCG on the teeth thing. Worst case scenario, I will be asking DS1 if any of his friends has a dentist for a parent...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I was in the orthodontist today (again!) and they had a sign up quoting £40 or £50 I think.
Jellyicecream

Post by Jellyicecream »

We bought 2 of the cheap DIY ones and ended up messing them both up and so paid for the school fitting which was around £40-£50.
He's probably only only worn it a few times. But I don't care, you only get 1 set of adult teeth so it's money well spent to me. If they continue with rugby they may need new sheilds as they grow.
Our dentist also fits them slightly cheaper.
Ds1 (who had it fitted at school) told Ds2 what a horrible experience it was having it fitted (thanks Ds1). So Ds2 is reluctant to have it done so I might try the dentist as he's looking forward to playing rugby at Crypt.

For the sake of £40-£50 I'd pay to have it properly fitted.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now