Awful handwriting

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MamaBear

Awful handwriting

Post by MamaBear »

Ds2 has really bad handwriting. He doesn't bother to write cursive, the school picked up on it and made him attend handwriting sessions at lunch now he has been "discharged" but I still feel its illegible.

Ds1 writes so tiny you need a microscope. Any tips?
PurpleDuck

Re: Awful handwriting

Post by PurpleDuck »

How old are they, MamaBear? My youngest was 8, I think, when I bought some handwriting practice books from WHSmith and made him practise cursive writing at home every night, starting from practising individual letters and letter joints, as they should have done in reception - only 10-15 minutes a day, but consistently, and it helped.

DS1 recently started writing smaller and smaller (when I asked him why, he said his books looked much neater this way :shock: ), to the point I found it hard to read. He wouldn't listen to me, so I had a quiet word with his English teacher and she wrote a few comments in his book along the lines of 'bigger writing, please' and ' you will lose marks in public exams if the examiner can't read your essay'. Fingers crossed, it's working so far!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
KB

Post by KB »

There was a thread about handwriting with lots of tips and shared experiences - worth a quick search back to find it.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Have you seen this thread? The pen really helped my son. He still uses it.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... lo#p556400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now