Does my son need to write a creative piece/essay?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DannielleDavis

Does my son need to write a creative piece/essay?

Post by DannielleDavis »

My son is looking to apply to Kent Grammar Schools and I was wondering if he would need to write an essay type/creative piece? I have read contradicting reports and would like to know for defintie before I make him do anymore writing. Many thanks.
salsa

Re: Does my son need to write a creative piece/essay?

Post by salsa »

Hi. I think it would be better if you post in the Kent section of the forum as you may get more answers. To answer your question, however, yes an essay has to be written, but it's not marked unless the child fails the test and his/her headteacher decides to appeal before the parents get the results in October.
Last edited by salsa on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have moved the post for you.
Yoyo
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

DannielleDavis wrote:My son is looking to apply to Kent Grammar Schools and I was wondering if he would need to write an essay type/creative piece? I have read contradicting reports and would like to know for defintie before I make him do anymore writing. Many thanks.
Welcome to the Kent forum, Danielle.

The Kent Test includes a written piece (30 mins) which is not part of the scored assessment. It is considered only in cases where a child fails narrowly on the marked papers and where the child's headteacher decides to put him/her forward for local headteacher panel assessment.

Headteachers do this for children they consider grammar-suitable and the standard of the written piece is considered by the panel.

If your son tries the GL Assessment practice papers at home and scores consistently well, I don't think there is much point in having him do specific work to prepare for the written piece, assuming he knows how to plan a short piece of writing and is able to work to a time limit.

Last year's test, set by GL who are contracted to set this year's test, provided children with a short list of topic choices for the written piece, both fiction and non-fiction.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Last year they also had the choice of at least essay, newspaper article or poem, might have been other options too, ?journal entry, so not just an essay option.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Gosh, how very reasonable of them. Most schools I deal with don't offer any choice at all. You do whatever you are given! DG
salsa

Post by salsa »

Daogroupie wrote:Gosh, how very reasonable of them. Most schools I deal with don't offer any choice at all. You do whatever you are given! DG
The only problem is that most of those 16,000 essays will not be seen by anyone!
Only about 4 or 5% will be read if the child fails and their headteacher requests a review.

Salsa
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

I don't think the requirements for the essay are very high. Make sure that whatever your DS writes is sensible and relevant to the given topic. Doesn't have to be a masterpiece as long as there are no spelling, punctuation and grammar errors.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now