impact of brexit on indie places etc

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zhp

impact of brexit on indie places etc

Post by zhp »

Uncertain times how this will pan out for private schools as well as parents paying for private schools
Yamin151

Re: impact of brexit on indie places etc

Post by Yamin151 »

??
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

are you talking about well-off investors losing money and tightening belts?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Just like the rest if us have been doing for the last few years?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suppose some people will be worried re committing to 7 years + of school fees bu that can happen anytime. After the 2008 recession there were quite a lot of schools closing and maybe the same thing will happen. Te rest will stay and probably have even more students from abroad studying there.

The NHS changed in a similar way after 2008 - private hospitals found that lots of people had got rid of private health insurance so they took on huge NHS contracts and are still working in that way
Amber

Post by Amber »

Don't a lot of independent schools rely on the children of rich foreigners to keep their numbers up and swell their coffers? If by any wild chance the new government tends towards a xenophobic or racist tone, then such schools may limit their recruitment base as none of the children will be allowed to live here. On the other hand, Putin is apparently delighted by the result so maybe we will be OK for the offspring of Russian oligarchs for a while.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:Don't a lot of independent schools rely on the children of rich foreigners to keep their numbers up and swell their coffers? If by any wild chance the new government tends towards a xenophobic or racist tone, then such schools may limit their recruitment base as none of the children will be allowed to live here. On the other hand, Putin is apparently delighted by the result so maybe we will be OK for the offspring of Russian oligarchs for a while.
A lot of the kids I hear of at schools are from Russia, Nigeria, Malaysia and China - plenty of money there and they appreciate learning to talk proper english like
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

The government may have encouraged the nasty tone, but I need to mention that yesterday there were plenty of people following through to ask when some of us will return "home". Predictably, this was not limited to those with EU connections.

I expect the well-off children from these further flung areas can simply continue to stay at boarding school all the time studying, to avoid this treatment. And I am sure that the government will continue to enjoy accepting them and their money as they are nothing to do with the EU. That's business!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

silverysea wrote:The government may have encouraged the nasty tone, but I need to mention that yesterday there were plenty of people following through to ask when some of us will return "home". Predictably, this was not limited to those with EU connections.
This is so nasty and so ignorant. Do people asking such questions realise what would happen e.g. with the NHS if all immigrant/second generation immigrant health professionals decided to go "home"? Has anyone explained to them that the British economy would probably implode if all immigrants were suddenly made to leave? There is (was?) an Australian teacher in my son's primary, there are non-UK teachers in my other son's secondary - should they all "go home"?

I wonder whether those hoping to remove every single immigrant from the UK are aware that that would probably mean a similar treatment to the British nationals living abroad - or do they assume they should be allowed to stay wherever they are in the world?

I feel really sorry for children from mixed families (whether linked to the EU countries or somewhere else), many of them British citizens, born in the UK. If this sort of "go home" nasty attitude becomes commonplace, they will never feel at home in their own country. The future does not look very bright from where I am looking at it...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Hm, the 'Fit in or **** off' t-shirt someone was wearing was rather worrying too. Who on earth sells these things?