What part of speech is it?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ninanina

What part of speech is it?

Post by ninanina »

In the sentence "later that night there is a storm, which raises the wreckage up onto the rocks." What part of speech is 'which'?
What are all the possible parts of speech 'which' could function as with example sentence? Pronoun, conjunction, adjective???
ToadMum

Re: What part of speech is it?

Post by ToadMum »

ninanina wrote:In the sentence "later that night there is a storm, which raises the wreckage up onto the rocks." What part of speech is 'which'?
What are all the possible parts of speech 'which' could function as with example sentence? Pronoun, conjunction, adjective???
Relative pronoun.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ninanina

Post by ninanina »

I thought so too but the answer in the test says there is. No pronoun in this sentence!!!?? Is the answer incorrect?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ninanina wrote: What are all the possible parts of speech 'which' could function as with example sentence? Pronoun, conjunction, adjective???
Is this the exact wording of the question?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ninanina

Post by ninanina »

The question is: how many pronouns are there in this line? And the line goes exactly:
" Later that night, there is a huge storm, which spectacularly raises the wreckage up onto the rocks."

The answers given are: 1, 2, 3 or none. And the correct answer is marked as being 'none' .
Last edited by ninanina on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
piggys

Post by piggys »

The verb "rises" is being used incorrectly in that sentence too. I'd stop using that particular book OP,it sounds pretty lame :shock:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which book is this? DG
ninanina

Re: What part of speech is this?

Post by ninanina »

Should be 'raises', my typo, ooops, corrected now. It is not a book, it's a test, doesn't say what publisher. I guess the answer is marked 'none' incorrectly then. I guess these kind of mistakes happen occasionally, even in books.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

All tests have the publisher's name on them somewhere. Is it a CEM specific one or just MC English? DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

I am also unclear as to why it says 'onto' and not 'on to'. This is becoming more and more common IME but I don't understand why.