Mac playing up

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Mac playing up

Post by KS10 »

Since last night, each time I try to click on something, I am redirected to other sites, the most frequent one being 'hightsearch'. The same thing happens when I open a new tab. I also keep getting messages about getting rid of viruses. I have no idea how to deal with this.
PurpleDuck

Re: Mac playing up

Post by PurpleDuck »

I'm not familiar with Macs, but is it possible you have a virus? It does sound suspicious... I use a PC and keep it clean by using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to detect and remove all potential problems. They have a free version you can download and that's the one I use. It started off as a free, trial version of the paid-for package, but after 2 weeks, when the trial expired, I just clicked on 'end trial' and it left me with a free version. The main difference between the paid-for and free version is that the former runs in the background all the time, while the free one runs only when I run the application myself. They have a version for Macs. too: https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Amber

Post by Amber »

DS1 and DS2 are away till later. I will ask them when they get back, but as they are both at some kind of Explorer camp they will need a shower and a sleep before I get any sense out of them. You shouldn't have a virus on a Mac - have you emptied the cache, or whatever the correct term is?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's a browser virus that you have unintentionally downloaded with something else, and it is known to affect Macs. I have had similar on PCs and the instructions you can Google seem to work. My guess it that you shouldn't click on anything popping up telling you that you gave a virus as that will be ransomware.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I had a problem with a similar 'hijacker' on a laptop (not a mac); I can't remember how I managed to stop it popping up as my homepage tbh, but searching on 'hightsearch mac' turned up several discussions / solutions, including this one:

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-hightsearch-com.html
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I am a Mac user and had a similar problem a few months ago. You need to go into system preferences and look through for an files that should not be there. I am pretty sure you will find that as other posters hVe said your browser has been hijacked. In the end I had to take my computer to a professional because I wasn't sure of what was and wasn't OK to delete.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks, everyone. DD said she knew what to do. We went into 'Settings' and then 'Extensions'. She told me to get rid of something that was there - book something or other. So far so good.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

KS10 wrote:Thanks, everyone. DD said she knew what to do. We went into 'Settings' and then 'Extensions'. She told me to get rid of something that was there - book something or other. So far so good.
It's possible it's a little more deeply buried than that. If you run Malwarebytes free version it should tell you (assuming there is a Malwarebytes for Mac?). When I've had anything like this it takes quite a lot to get rid of it, but that is on a PC so maybe it's different?
scary mum
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Yes, there is Malwarebytes for Macs and I would also recommend running it. I use it alongside McAfee antivirus on my PC and it often finds malware that McAfee did not pick up on.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

PurpleDuck wrote:Yes, there is Malwarebytes for Macs and I would also recommend running it. I use it alongside McAfee antivirus on my PC and it often finds malware that McAfee did not pick up on.
Me too
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now