Practice papers

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Maria

Practice papers

Post by Maria »

Hi

Have done lots of practice questions with my son and am now moving on to papers. What's the best way of tackling them. We've done a couple already and I think he's getting a bit discouraged as he's unable to answer all questions in the alloted time. Am I being too strict initially and should I just let hime complete the paper in his own time and work on speeding up later on. Help only seven weeks to go.

Thanks
Maria

Don't Panic, it will work out

Post by Guest »

Maria,

Do not panic or be disappointed as this will create an extra burden on him. The important thing is that even if he takes his time he is able to work it out in the end. In the exam, assuming he remains slow, at least he will get a two or three questions right from a section and there is nothing stopping him guessing the rest if under time pressure as he still has a one in five chance of getting those right.

What you need to do is whatever section he is in, even if he is out of time, either mark on paper (ring the question) at how far he has got and let him complete the section in his own time or just make a mental note.

With all 11plus exams you need to get the technique right then improve speed and accuracy. So let his confidence in the techniques build, the penny will drop sooner or later and time will not be an issue as the speed will get faster.

To help with the techniques and practice pickup from the website bookshop:

1. Bond Assessment Papers - How to Do 11 plus Non-Verbal Reasoning ISBN: 0748771131
2. AFN Eleven Plus Practice Tests Non-verbal Reasoning Practice Tests A-D, Multiple Choice ISBN: 0953848760

From the ePapers section:

1. Eleven Plus Exams Non-Verbal Reasoning Papers 1 – 3 (ePaper section)
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Maria,

Seven weeks is still quite a lot and you should not need to worry at this stage. In my experinece, it is best to let the child do all the questions and may be just note the time spent to monitor progress. This is to avoid putting too much pressure on the child. With regular, preferably daily practice, timing improves steadily.
The 'a little- often' approach worked for my son.
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi Maria,

We're out of your area, but I managed to tutor my daughter in about six weeks gradually building up the practice and speed.

Take it confidently in your stride and if their doing ok, don't panic you should manage it!

I always think if they are clever enough to pass they will do fine with only a few weeks to practice, not as much time for boredom and pressure to pass

Just think if you'd practiced for years and failed, it must be much more heartbreaking, than if you only practice for about 8 weeks and fail

Footymad
Maria

Thanks for replies

Post by Maria »

Thanks all for replying. You've reassured me. I'll let him complete all questions then work on speed a little later on.

Maria