Fill in the blanks , Words and Phrases meaning -Sutton mock

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
msqaured

Fill in the blanks , Words and Phrases meaning -Sutton mock

Post by msqaured »

Sutton mock exams has these 2 sections where our DD lost a lot of marks.

Any helps and pointers on the type of questions and how to support Dd to correct these mistakes will be useful.
PurpleDuck

Re: Fill in the blanks , Words and Phrases meaning -Sutton

Post by PurpleDuck »

As far as I am aware, phrases were just that - sayings such as e.g. 'once in a blue moon', 'to kill two birds with one stone', etc and children had to explain the meaning. As for words, I think they were synonyms/antonyms, but I'm not 100% sure. There was another thread about this a few weeks ago, so worth trying to find it.

The best way to improve on vocabulary is to read a lot but there are also 11+ vocabulary books which might be useful, especially when it comes to phrases/idioms.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

For things like phrases, it might be worth looking at some English as a Foreign Language (?Additional Language) material?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Fill in the blanks is cloze which is a very large part of CEM. It comes in four different guises: Missing letter cloze where letters are missing in words, missing word cloze where you have to write in the word, word bank cloze where you identify the word from a bank of words at the top and multiple choice cloze where you select one of three options.

CGP and First past the post sell excellent cloze books so I recommend you purchase some from the forum shop next day delivery and you will see the improvement very quickly. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now