Et tu Gove?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Et tu Gove?

Post by Daogroupie »

We are indeed living history in these extraordinary days that seem to go on and on.

I tell my students that their children will ask them about this time and to make sure they follow it. It can be explained in playground plot lines!

I expect my grandchildren to be studying plays, novels and history books written about June/July 2016. DG
quasimodo

Re: Et tu Gove?

Post by quasimodo »

Gove showed a serious character flaw which makes him unfit to be prime minister. As one MP tweeted “There is a very deep pit reserved in **** for such as he”.

Who is really going to be listening when he gives his speech at 11 today? Is he like Brutus going to commit suicide after he suffers defeat.If so what form will that suicide take.He has in one sense already committed political suicide.

I knew politics is brutal I didn't know how brutal.Like the biography Boris Johnson wrote on the great man Churchill he knows the flows of history.Churchill suffered many defeats.He was to blame for the disaster at Gallipoli in the First world war which cost thousands of lives and yet he was our greatest statesman of the 20th century.

The Conservatives will need to go to the people at some stage who would they rather have trying to make their case.A man who won 3 elections against the tide in each of them. London's demographics have been changing for some time with natural conservatives leaving the area and more immigrants coming in and with the Brexit vote the array of forces that were ranged against it.In the case of Gove he had become so toxic as Education Secretary politically he was moved out.

Et tu Gove.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Ken Clarke launches stunning attack on Michael Gove and urges him to 'stand down now'
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... chael-gove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Post by Amber »

Michael Gove has said his decision to stand to become Conservative leader is driven by "conviction" about what is right for the UK not personal ambition.
The justice secretary said that when he concluded Boris Johnson was not the "right person", his "heart told him" that he should put himself forward.
(BBC)

There are so many things in here DAOG if you are looking for a style analysis passage for your students.

Eg:
1. Comment on the distinction between 'truth' and 'lies';

2. Suggest what is wrong with Michael Gove referring to his 'heart';

3. Suggest an alternative for the word 'heart':
a. Wife
b.Wife
c.Wife
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

^ :lol: :lol:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Touche Amber and Proud_Dad.

A short critique on Gove's speech to be PM.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/bi ... ll-answer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How can anyone trust him ? When he betrayed David Cameron it was because of principle ! When he betrayed Boris Johnson it was because of principle ! He had no ambition to be PM ? He hadn't the skills to be PM ?

PS sorry JaneEyre I could not find the accent on the e in touche.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

quasimodo wrote:PS sorry JaneEyre I could not find the accent on the e in touche.
In case your youngest daughter will learn French at her secondary school and wishes to typewrite her French HW, she can find the different accents (when using Word) by clicking on the tab 'insert' and then she click 'symbol' on the right handside of the ribbon. There she will be able to find what she is looking for. This is valid also for the students learning other MFL. :wink:

Edited to amend the font as some people complained that small font is hard to read. My apologies! I was writing in small font so that the main focus of the thread is kept!
Last edited by JaneEyre on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Amber wrote:
Michael Gove has said his decision to stand to become Conservative leader is driven by "conviction" about what is right for the UK not personal ambition.
The justice secretary said that when he concluded Boris Johnson was not the "right person", his "heart told him" that he should put himself forward.
(BBC)

There are so many things in here DAOG if you are looking for a style analysis passage for your students.

Eg:
1. Comment on the distinction between 'truth' and 'lies';

2. Suggest what is wrong with Michael Gove referring to his 'heart';

3. Suggest an alternative for the word 'heart':
a. Wife
b.Wife
c.Wife

D) Massively inflated EGO
E) Selective memory of what a b*lls up he made of education
F) all of the above
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

Brexit, Gove and Trump - what / who's going to be the fourth horseman of the apocalypse?! :?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I think we learnt two things...

(1) Boris was really only in it for the PM role, he didn't really believe in BrExit
(2) Gove has a higher opinion of himself than anyone else does

Gove did well to torch Boris' chances, Boris would have been a dreadful PM and would not have followed through on BrExit (the democratic wish of the electorate). As for Gove, he'll never be PM, but maybe he was true to his word and never wanted to be.

IMHO May will be an OK PM. (Cameron was always very convincing but I never actually saw any concrete achievements)
Animis opibusque parati