Marling house system

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mrsdevonshire

Marling house system

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

DS had a wonderful day at his Marling induction today but came home to inform me he would be in the new house Bennett (purple tie - quite like that bit) and his year was the first in it.

I realise that with the increased intake they had to do something.

But how will that work do you think compared to all the more established houses critically with older boys in them? I am worried that the main benefit of a house system which is being part of a team or family with older members in it is immediately lost for him and worry that it will disadvantage him.

He doesn't know any different and so is not worried. I shall ask them at Parents evening next week but wondered if any of you wise ones had any thoughts?

thanks

Mrs D
steppemum

Re: Marling house system

Post by steppemum »

I am not sure that the boys really have a sense of who the older boys are in their house. They are competitive to get their house points, and each tutor group is one house, so the sense of competitiveness/team comes largely from the tutor group being 'your' team.

In order to make the point system work, they are separating the new year 7 and below from the year 8 and above. So the current boys will continue with a competition between them, and the younger kids will start a new competition.