How much leeway to allow in travel times; AHS/SHF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Erystation

How much leeway to allow in travel times; AHS/SHF

Post by Erystation »

I know this is a bit specific but I'm thinking about transport issues. DD would need to get a public bus to centre of Aylesbury in order to get to AHS. On current timetables that means arriving with 25 minutes to walk there, but the next bus would be too late. If we followed the 'get the bus before you really have to rule' it would mean arriving with 55 minutes to walk there. How uppity do they get about bus failures - esp public buses? SHF travel would mean arriving 30 minutes before reg - surely enough to allow for lateness.
Guest55

Re: How much leeway to allow in travel times; AHS/SHF

Post by Guest55 »

Isn't there a school bus? They go right into the SHFGS site and to a bus park near AHS. In my experience schools are more understanding of school buses being late than public ones.

However the walk from the bus station to SHFGS is much easier and shorter than to AHS. I would try it out on a school day and see.
Erystation

Post by Erystation »

No, no school bus. We are OOC. We are on the Floyd side so she would not need to go into town at all, just get off the bus right outside. That journey into town and out makes quite a difference overall.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If she can get a bus to the stop by the school then that is a great time saver - school buses do serve some OOC areas, have you checked?

The walk from town to AHS crosses at least two horrible roads.
Erystation

Post by Erystation »

Should have said I have checked the school buses. Getting one would involve her getting on a public bus to get to a place where the school bus goes, iyswim. Not a goer. The walk from town to AHS seems quite scary at the moment but I believe lots of girls (and boys) do it. But I am concerned about the time.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A lot of AGS/AHS students get buses to the shared bus park in Turnfurlong - the walk from town plus crossing roads is about 15 minutes. Try it on a school day and see -

I'd go for SHFGS ... it is consulting on increasing PAN to 180 and is the better[happier] school imho.