2016 exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sandunip

2016 exam

Post by sandunip »

Can any one tell me how many children will average be sitting the Sutton test this year? How many will be chosen from the stage one test? Please

And same with the Tiffin Boys?
PurpleDuck

Re: 2016 exam

Post by PurpleDuck »

Hi Sandunip,

Nobody knows how many children will sit this September, but probably a bit more than last year. Last year, ca. 2500 boys sat SET for Sutton grammar schools. Wallington boys' passed over 840 after SET and they did not have the second stage, so all of those were eligible to put Walligton boys' on their CAF. SGS and Wilson's probably passed similar, or slightly higher, numbers to Stage 2 each and after stage 2 roughly 550 children were deemed eligible to apply for each of these schools and put them on their CAF. Not everyone who passed Stage 2 SGS passed Stage 2 Wilson's and vice versa. The total number of places in boys' grammar schools in Sutton was 450.

I don't know how many sat Tiffin Boys'.

More precise data for 20016 exams will be available in Sutton's Secondary Schools Transfers 2017 booklet when it is published - I think in early September. In the meantime, here is the link to the 2016 edition of the booklet, where you will find numbers sitting the test in 2015, so it will give you some idea. https://www.sutton.gov.uk/downloads/fil ... oklet_2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Remember the number sitting is usually higher than the number applying, as some subsequently change their mind.

Also it is not a good indicator of how many will apply and in which ranking order on the application form

Exact number is a bit irrelevant (unless you are hosting the exam), you will often get figures of 1500-2500 for many schools which is about 10-13 times their admission number. Not sure how knowing that helps as the same small number of genius children will often do well, and they cant take up places at multiple schools.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The number applying (i.e. naming the school as one of their preferences on the CAF which they submit to their LEA) will be considerably less than the number who sit the exam, as a significant proportion will not achieve the score required to be eligible to be considered for a place. Some will name schools for which their child did not pass, because they intend to appeal for the place(s) which the child will inevitably be turned down for, but they will probably be balanced by those who put their child in for every available 11+ and have no intention of him / her actually going to the school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
htm123

Post by htm123 »

Tiffin Grammar school for boys had Verbal & Non-verbal reasoning tests last year if I remember correctly & about 1200 boys sat their tests? Expect more candidates to sit Tiffin's tests this year as they dropped the V + N/V Reasoning.
Not sure about the dates of their exams... if dates set before those of Sutton Consortium, some parents will probably add Tiffin's test on their child's list of exam options?
Last year Tiffin's Boys had a catchment area of 14km and they have been extremely strict about it on offer day. I know somebody with a very high mark not being offered a place as home address just outside 14 km.
Amoda

Post by Amoda »

Just a slight correction to htm123's post.
The boys who sat the test in October and November last year for 2016 entry did not do VR and NVR.

It was 2 rounds of Maths and English. 1st round was multiple choice and the 2nd round was standard Maths, Reading Comprehension and a piece of writing.

Not sure of the numbers who sat but to get to the 2nd round, one needed a score of 218 and above in the 1st round. To have been offered a place on 1st March, one needed a score of 97 and over from the 2nd round.

I wouldn't worry about the number of children sitting the test - you already know it's fiercely competitive. The key is to ensure your child does his very best on the day of the tests.
pii

Post by pii »

Tiffin Boys who took exam in 2015 to join in september 2016.
1800 boys took stage 1 exam. 471 boys were called for stage 2 and 180th seat was filled by the boy getting 97 marks in the first round.
The highest achieved combined score was 138.
The highest score achieved in either English or Maths was 146.
sandunip

Post by sandunip »

Thank you for all your helps. This help me to have better understanding abut the selection process.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now