Shuffled Sentences

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Shuffled Sentences

Post by ginx »

My ds2, year 5, is really struggling with these.

We only have the First Past the Post series, Book 1, obviously.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do them, or other books with simpler sentences to practice? I find them difficult too.
um

Re: Shuffled Sentences

Post by um »

A general understanding of grammar/sentence structure can help.

You can also make your own shuffled sentences - using easier sentences and Word.

There are a few in FPTP which are fiendishly difficult :shock:
This isn't a bad thing as for CEM exams, children need to be used to not being able to answer everything perfectly.

My dd had loads of practice on these (ones I made as the FPTP book has only just been published) and still wasn't that great at them. Fortunately although she lost masses of marks on this section, her comprehension, vocab, etc were good which got her the score she needed at the end. If your child is really struggling, another approach might simply be to ensure that the other areas are very solid.
redbrige

Post by redbrige »

My DD as well has problem with shuffled sentences and also cloze
cloze basically I realized her vocabulary I mean the word list in her brain is limited she is not able to guess even the simple words when I give her a clue she says oh...........!!! that one so easy word
If I keep using FPTP books as there are only 2 books it might become like remembering those words in repeated practice
Vocabulary improvement improves by reading books but just they skim through books and when I make them sit with dictionary and find out meaning of any new word she always say I'm missing the flow the story.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

These, to use the vernacular, are a right royal pain in the arse!

(Made Think Masochists Blew They Up That I Were By.....)

Daft idea to use these to assess intelligence!
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

redbrige wrote: Vocabulary improvement improves by reading books but just they skim through books and when I make them sit with dictionary and find out meaning of any new word she always say I'm missing the flow the story.
I agree good vocab is the key, but having to stop to look stuff up all the time does spoil the enjoyment of reading.
In our house we called them "stuck words" - not really sure how that came about! They read in bed at night before they go to sleep and were allowed to call me if that hit a "stuck word". Some nights I would be up and down like a yo-yo, some things I had to look up myself, but I think it was worth it as it did help to improve their vocab and they didn't lose the enjoyment of reading.
Dictionary skills are important though and they did learn how to use a dictionary - just not at bedtime. I tried the dictionary bookmarks but that was a waste of time as most of the words they wanted weren't on there!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ginx wrote:My ds2, year 5, is really struggling with these.

We only have the First Past the Post series, Book 1, obviously.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do them, or other books with simpler sentences to practice? I find them difficult too.
You could make your own shuffled sentences - I would just print out a section of an easier text and cut up sentences into pieces.

For those looking for more resources to practice Cloze questions, CGP have very recently published '10-Minute Tests for 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Cloze (Ages 10-11) - CEM Test' and it has very good reviews. There are also Cloze practice books by Ashkraft Educational: 'Mastering 11+ : Cloze' - Practice Books 1, 2 and 3 and they are much easier than FPTP.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
enema

Post by enema »

DD kept a small notebook and added each 'stuck word' so it eventually created quite a list. Was useful to return to for practice.

Also made lots of shuffled sentences using basic sentences and using Word as they are hard to find in books. At first she found them difficult but began to get them more quicly in the end after practice, and more practice. Knowing parts of speech helped, and also trying to make just a general sentence out of the words and then fitting in any of the remaining words.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now