King John School@Benfleet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kbodh

King John School@Benfleet

Post by kbodh »

Does anybody know what type of exam does King John school has?
They are not part of csse consortium and they have exam in October just before the form submission date.

Is anybody travelling from Ilford/Romford to Benfleet. I think there are c2c services running in that area which are connected to Romford.
PettswoodFiona

Re: King John School@Benfleet

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Not in your region but the pages on this site that give an overview of the different schools and their tests and the Essex page seems to give information about the test content: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ex-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and states
TEST TYPE: Verbal Reasoning (multiple choice) 50 minutes
EXAMINER: GL Assessment (NFER)
Looks like you still get the results prior to the CAF submission deadline.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Again, like St Thomas More, the King John School is just a comprehensive school, albeit a normal community one (religion playing absolutely no part in its admissions criteria), with some places allocated regardless of place of residence via its selection test. Up to 15% of places (which amounted to 48 when the last of our DC sat it) may be allocated in this way, but this criterion always came near the bottom of the list - unlike at Cecil Jones and Shoeburyness High School - so if there were lots of siblings and in-catchment non-siblings, fewer than the maximum allowed would be available for test takers who did not otherwise qualify for a place.

I would be very surprised indeed if more than a handful of children travel from as far away as Ilford or Romford; my impression is that most of the 'selective' entrants live in the Borough of Southend - and on the whole, from not much further away than Westcliff. The furthest I know personally is DD's friend who lives about a mile further away from the school than we do.

To get to Benfleet from Romford by train, you would need to change at Upminster. Benfleet station is right down at sea level; your DC would then have to take the bus up a very long hill to the school. It is not walking distance - although it would have to be if it snowed and the buses were not running, of course :( .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

kbodh wrote:Does anybody know what type of exam does King John school has?
They are not part of csse consortium and they have exam in October just before the form submission date.

Is anybody travelling from Ilford/Romford to Benfleet. I think there are c2c services running in that area which are connected to Romford.
As Toadmum says it's not a journey I would relish every day.

I'd look at schools nearer to where I live if I were you.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:
kbodh wrote:Does anybody know what type of exam does King John school has?

As Toadmum says it's not a journey I would relish every day.

I'd look at schools nearer to where I live if I were you.
Or move into the King John catchment area? Would then be in catchment for both SHSB and WHSB and on a direct bus route to both if you find somewhere on the 21 bus route.

Mr note
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now