Berkhamsted Girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

examprepper

Berkhamsted Girls

Post by examprepper »

Hi,

Any views on the standard required to get into Berkhamsted? We are looking for a school for our daughter which is slightly less academic than habs, St. Albans high school etc as although she is reasonably bright we don't think she would suit being at the bottom of the intake, should she secure a place at one of those. I would say she is secure level 5 in old money and possibly level 6 in maths but not Spag/reading.

Any thoughts on Berkhamsted? Just noticed there is a coach to our town.

Thanks!
avidskier

Re: Berkhamsted Girls

Post by avidskier »

We looked at Berko but didn't end up applying. It is far less academic than St Albans High but still slightly selective.
The year we were looking they said they had places right up to the beginning of the school year so we decided to apply once we had heard from our other choices.
Seem to remember that the deposit once a place was accepted was rather steep compared to day schools but then it has the boarding option which is always handy...
It also is very good at sports, arts and drama..
Would recommend taking a look at the Open day and seeing what you think.
Lots of students travel to school by train also if the coach doesn't work for you. Make sure you check the availability of a late coach to your stop as well ... Otherwise you will end up having to ferry after all (been there -done that!!!).
I seem to remember it has a longer school day than the High School and may also have Saturday AM lessons as well (if I remember correctly)... So make sure you are able/willing to commit to that as well.
Hope that helps!
examprepper

Post by examprepper »

Thanks avidskier, that's really helpful.

Yes we have signed up for the open day so will go and have a look and take it from there!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As you can probably pick up from their website both of the Berks have a very strong focus on Sports and academic less so.

St Albans has many girls who are less academic, it is a lot easier to get into St Albans than Habs or NLCS ( no girl from our local primary school has ever failed to get in) but it is certainly higher than Berks in the pecking order.

I am very underwhelmed by the sample papers for the exam in January that will be their first since leaving the North London Consortium.

I would recommend sitting both so you have choices in February. DG