Some advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2littleboys

Some advice please

Post by 2littleboys »

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please?

My son is in year 4 at a Bucks primary school.

He received his school report last week and in the reading and writing categories he has "achieved year 4 expectations" and for mathmatics he is "working within year 4 expectations".

Iam happy with that result but will it be enought to set him on the path to passing his 11+? Obviously I would be a lot more relaxed about it if he was "working beyond year 4 expectations" in all categories :D

There was a letter in his report to say that testing had been tougher this year if that is relevant.

I have been through the 11+ with my older son but it was a good few years ago now (under the different test) so I do know a bit about what lies ahead :roll:

I feel the stakes are higher this time as my younger son really wants to go to his big brother's school which means he has to pass the 11+.

If anyone could give me their thoughts I would be most grateful :)
Guest55

Re: Some advice please

Post by Guest55 »

Talk to his class teacher as, unless they are an NQT, they will have seen many children go through the school. What do they think?

Ideally you'd want 'above year expectations' but the new measures vary from school to school.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Thank you for your reply Guest 55.

The problem is I know if I asked his teacher (or anyone in his school) they will not give me a straight answer. I'm not criticising-I know the teachers are in an awkward position.

My older son had a CATS test aroud this point in year 4 which gave you a slight indication as to whether your child was in with a good chace of passing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's disappointing. I know they are under pressure but surely it's better to be honest with parents?

What sort of levels did he get at KS1 or last year? PM me if you prefer ...
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Perhaps as he is only in year 4 you could start to give him some simple questions in the CEM style to do and see how he responds to them? I wish I had done this. I know that other posters on here would be better placed to tell you what sort of material you could look at. I would go lightly, but if he wants to go to his brothers school he may be quite motivated to learn and practice.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

He is almost in Y5.

There are lots of free online sample papers so I would do a free sample CEM paper just to get some idea of where he is at.

Lots of the CEM sections can be covered in the car; jumble a sentence and see if he can put it back together again, give him a word and ask him to give you a word that is the same and a word that is opposite. These skills can be improved very quickly, you will be surprised how easily these areas can strength in a few minutes a week. DG
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Guest55

He had two level 2's and a level 3 (can't remember which way around though!)
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Eccentric

I know he is only year 4 (mind you he has only got a week or so left of it) so I will "go lightly" However Iam very aware that other's in his year have started tutoring many months (years!) ago so I don't want him to be left behind if you see what I mean.

It is good that he wants to go to his brother's school I agree-but I'm not sure if he is willing to put in the work to get there :roll:
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Daogroupie

Thanks for your advice. I will print out a CEM paper for him and see how it gets on.

Having spoken to friends whose children have taken the new style exam (I know it's not new anymore but it's not like the 11+ that my older son sat) it seems that there is a lot more to cover this time round. I want to give my younger boy the same chance that my older boy had so I guess I had better get a move on.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Presumably you've looked at the information on the Bucks website?

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... sfer-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now