DS starting year 4 in Sept - Where to start?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PeppermintCreams

DS starting year 4 in Sept - Where to start?

Post by PeppermintCreams »

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place! My DS will be starting year 4 in September, and I understand this is when the 11 plus preparation starts to get a bit more serious. He is well above average for all his subjects, so all we've been doing so far is the Bond VR and NVR for younger children (as fun quizzes) well as the obvious stuff like encouraging reading and learning times tables. So what should we start doing over the summer holidays, and the next school year to prepare us for the craziness of year 5?

We are looking at BETHS, Dartford and Wilmington specifically. Possibly St Olaves, but that's 1.5 hours away by public transport, so a bit far I think.
PettswoodFiona

Re: DS starting year 4 in Sept - Where to start?

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Golly we didn't start with anything until start of y5 so it does seem a bit intense starting in Y3 and looking at continuing in Y4 too. We didn't do any formal work with DD until start of Y5 but all the advice you will see elsewhere on this forum about building good foundations and your child wanting to do the tests being key. Lots of reading, get them curious about vocab and if they see a word in their regular work they don't understand knowing to ask. Do check distances for the schools too. Wilmington boys only came out a few miles this year, much to the shock of many who are used to it going much further. There is no point sitting a test if even if your DS passes then they can't apply. I see the Bexley 2017 booklet is out and Beths distance is quite reduced on past years, however this year's distance of 5.7 miles will only be as of June. The scores needed for Dartford this year were also up on last year and caught out many who thought they'd get a place. We did look at schools early as we wanted DD to feel motivated for the schools she would be sitting tests for so did these in Y4 and a few more in Y5. 1.5 hours is bonkers for travel IMO.
PeppermintCreams

PettswoodFiona wrote:Golly we didn't start with anything until start of y5 so it does seem a bit intense starting in Y3 and looking at continuing in Y4 too. We didn't do any formal work with DD until start of Y5 but all the advice you will see elsewhere on this forum about building good foundations and your child wanting to do the tests being key. Lots of reading, get them curious about vocab and if they see a word in their regular work they don't understand knowing to ask. Do check distances for the schools too. Wilmington boys only came out a few miles this year, much to the shock of many who are used to it going much further. There is no point sitting a test if even if your DS passes then they can't apply. I see the Bexley 2017 booklet is out and Beths distance is quite reduced on past years, however this year's distance of 5.7 miles will only be as of June. The scores needed for Dartford this year were also up on last year and caught out many who thought they'd get a place. We did look at schools early as we wanted DD to feel motivated for the schools she would be sitting tests for so did these in Y4 and a few more in Y5. 1.5 hours is bonkers for travel IMO.
Thank you! BETHS is our first choice as it's the closest, and we are well within the distances offered over the past 5 years, so we will look at the open days. I thought it might be a bit over the top going to them in Year 5 so didn't think about year 4! We will keep doing what we are doing now then for the moment.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

It is too soon IMHO to eliminate any schools. You should first visit them in year 4 and decide what you want to do. For some parents, moving house is an option. I am not saying that you should move house for a school, but some do that. Keep your options open at this point in time. Do what you have been doing with DS in terms of the ground work. Have a plan in place for his year 5 preparation.
PeppermintCreams

mumsdarling2 wrote:It is too soon IMHO to eliminate any schools. You should first visit them in year 4 and decide what you want to do. For some parents, moving house is an option. I am not saying that you should move house for a school, but some do that. Keep your options open at this point in time. Do what you have been doing with DS in terms of the ground work. Have a plan in place for his year 5 preparation.
Thank you! BETHS is only first choice as it's the closest, plus DH went there so he has a bit of sentimental attachment to the place. I'm a bit more open minded. I have also looked at Eltham College but the TFL Gods are against us again, and only possible with the means tested bursary. We don't want to move! We have a really good mortgage and a younger child. Time to pencil the open days in the calendar.
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

Make sure you start regular reading 30 min a day and know your times table, long multipication and long division by end of year 4
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Just for info - it's not BETHS - it's Beths. May seem like a minor point, but when DS was there they had whole assemblies where this point was made very clear to them!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now