Watford Grammar Schools for Girls put cap on Triple Science

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Watford Grammar Schools for Girls put cap on Triple Science

Post by Daogroupie »

All parents of Girls in Y9 who have applied for Triple Science starting in September have received a letter from the School.

This states that only 75 girls will be allowed to select Triple Science as a result of a more challenging syllabus. The decision of the School will be final.

So WGSG joins QE and St Albans High School for girls in letting league table status get in the way of giving students a chance to do Triple Science.

How different from DAO where 85% of the year do Triple Science and all are expected to do it unless they can argue their way out of it. I do not know of a single instance of a student wanting to do Triple Science who was not allowed to but I know plenty at QE and St Albans.

As these Y9 students have already chosen Triple Science and school is finishing next week this is not really the time to be sending such a letter.

Will we be seeing more of this as schools act to protect their league table status? DG
WGG$Dad

Re: Watford Grammar Schools for Girls put cap on Triple Scie

Post by WGG$Dad »

I posted this exact same thing but it hasn't been approved for posting yet. I am the parent of a Year 9 and not at all happy with this.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Why don't they use a test result rather than an absolute amount of girls. Surely if girls are capable of doing it they should be allowed to do so.

I assume your dd applied for Triple Science and you are waiting to hear if she will be allowed to do it? DG
Stressing123

Post by Stressing123 »

Having seen the new syllabus, and comparing it to the old, I am not surprised.

The triple science goes into so much depth that many may struggle and it could put them off science for good. It is going to put an increasing amount of workload on teachers as well as students, and in some cases the new syllabus was only accredited a couple of months ago, even though teaching for it starts in the new academic year!

My DD is not at WGGS, but if she took double science I would not mind. Double science should be sufficient for most students, and should not preclude students from studying science at A level [not sure about WGGS] or even University, although if this is the path students are thinking of then obviously triple science would place them in a better position.

However, I don't agree with the decision to make this 'non-negotiable'. Students develop at different rates and taking such a decision in year 9 seems premature to me. I would also question the school's motive.
hairybiker

Post by hairybiker »

how many boys at wgbs have been allowed to do triple science from the current year 9. does anyone know?
WGG$Dad

Post by WGG$Dad »

Daogroupie wrote:Why don't they use a test result rather than an absolute amount of girls. Surely if girls are capable of doing it they should be allowed to do so.

I assume your dd applied for Triple Science and you are waiting to hear if she will be allowed to do it? DG
I agree, a test result would be much fairer.

There is no option to apply for triple science. The school just lets us know what they've picked for our child.
Hera

Post by Hera »

There has been no recent communication from the boys school. A letter went out before the end of year exams saying that a decision would be made on if the boys study double or triple based on end of year exams predominantly. However any boys that start the triple course and fall behind can be moved onto the double. In previous years it has been about a 70/30 split. I don't think that the boys will find out any more until the timetables for next year are posted over the holidays, but I may be wrong. With a year 7 at WGGS as well, I am extremely disappointed with the decision they have made.
hairybiker

Post by hairybiker »

Atleast boys have been given the opportunity to see how they do and if its too tough then swap down to double. girls are not being given that. so much for "sperate parati"
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now