newstead wood

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mamachuchu5

newstead wood

Post by mamachuchu5 »

hello!Totally new to this forum.is anyone else's daughter sitting the newstead wood exam?any helpful hints will be much appreciated.thank you :?
memphis

Re: newstead wood

Post by memphis »

I'm sure Pettswoodfiona will be happy to share with you her experience with Newstead Wood exams :P
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Ha ha, thanks Memphis. Yes DD sat last September. Not much for you to do now mama for Newstead as you probably have everything in place. Maybe work on her knowing which questions she might want to review if she has time if she hasn't got a method yet for that. We got the second sitting which did worry me as it went over the lunch period but DD had a brunch and that seemed to tide her over without giving her a post lunch slump. The school were really organised and despite large numbers leaving and others arriving it all went like clockwork. DD enjoyed the fact she was in an ordinary classroom with a small number of girls rather than a large hall. Out of the four tests she did it was the only one she had spare time. We had the pencil case all ready the night before along with a copy of the test sitting letter inside it and it was the one time we didn't nag DD to organise her own things - we just sorted it for her.

For the other tests DD went to school for the other part of the day but that wasn't possible with the Newstead test due to the odd timing.

If you are coming from a distance I would recommend getting the train. The one thing that was bad was the traffic. We walked and the school had arranged for the area near the school to be coned on the day of the test and there were loads of cars getting tickets and I even witnessed one rude parent ignore the pleas of a householder across whoms drive she had just parked.

Feel free to ask anything else. Good luck to your DD.
mamachuchu5

Post by mamachuchu5 »

thank you so much!very handy tips indeed.at the moment we're using eu publications but are there any other books we should be using please?we had been concentrating on the sutton schools which don't do vr and nvr but i only just found out that we're within the area for newstead wood! :( so a bit of a late start.............
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The Letts ten minute tests are pretty good for Newstead.
mamachuchu5

Post by mamachuchu5 »

thank you so much!I'll get that asap :)
Top25

Post by Top25 »

memphis wrote:I'm sure Pettswoodfiona will be happy to share with you her experience with Newstead Wood exams :P
Fiona
I read the admission for 2017 and it states NVR and VR. No mention of Maths.
Is this really so? DD is weak at Maths compared to English. I can't believe there's no Maths assessment?

Thanks
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

No Maths in the form you may be familiar with but the NVR is meant to assess that part of their ability. If your DD is weak at maths do think carefully if Newstead is the right place for her. It is perfectly possible to get a stellar score in VR and not so good at NVR as unlike Kent there is no minimum score for each part.
Top25

Post by Top25 »

Thank you
I just can't make my mind up about Newstead.
She's above average at maths, but not skilled and has to work hard at it.
She's very strong at VR. And very artistic and so far, she is acing NVR. Her prep is more aimed at Bexley test.
She's artistic, quiet and a little introvert, can grow her own confidence over time but she isn't naturally confident.

Folks keep telling me she isn't a Newstead girl!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

You need to tour the school and ask questions of the girls giving the tour and make your own mind up. DD identified with the girls at Newstead and it was her first choice. She is very self motivated and confident. The school however won't suit everyone. DD also sat Bexley and Kent and did well in all of them, our philosophy was to keep as many reasonable doors open as possible without it being overwhelming as we knew she had a lot of growing up to do in the year of preparation and suitability to a particular school may change too. We really liked Townley too but are practically on the doorstep of Newstead. We are very blessed with grammar options in our area.