11+ registrants

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eromdap

11+ registrants

Post by Eromdap »

I received confirmation of the venue for my daughter to sit her 11+ last night, I hope everyone got where they wanted. The email claimed that there had been 2150 registrations for the test. How does this compare with other years? Given that some schools have increased their PAN as a result of demand, is there more demand this year?
cazien

Re: 11+ registrants

Post by cazien »

Local press reported the following numbers for Oct 2015:-

2000+ for 900 places:-

400 at Pates - 150 places
310 at STR - 120 places
250 at Crypt - 112 places
250 at Marling - 150 places
300 at SHS - 150 places
300+ at HSFG - 128
No figure for Ribston - 120 places.

I would expect a higher demand to sit the test this year - Marling and Stroud High have already stated (allegedly!) highest number ever are sitting this year (300 at Marling and 301 at Stroud High) and I expect all other Grammars to be the same.

Good luck!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Adding up those figures that is 930 places with sitters of just over 2,000 (taking 250 as a random figure for Ribston) which is a pretty good odds compared to the grammars DD sat last Sept where 950 girls sat for 160 places for the girls school and approaching 2000 for the 120 places for the boys school, the discrepancy being the former has a catchment of 9 miles, the latter the whole of the country. If sitters are going in your region for more than one school the odds may be even better. Just to give some perspective.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Adding up those figures that is 930 places with sitters of just over 2,000 (taking 250 as a random figure for Ribston) which is a pretty good odds compared to the grammars DD sat last Sept where 950 girls sat for 160 places for the girls school and approaching 2000 for the 120 places for the boys school, the discrepancy being the former has a catchment of 9 miles, the latter the whole of the country. If sitters are going in your region for more than one school the odds may be even better. Just to give some perspective.
A couple of points re the Gloucestershire grammars:

- they are all superselective, so like St Olaves have the whole country as their catchment (and although the few members of my family who have attended a grammar school there only travelled a few miles to do so, one thing I have gleaned from this forum is that there days, some send their children from as far away as Bristol)

- you register your child to sit the exam at a school of the relevant gender, but can choose to 'share' their score with any or all of the others (of the relevant gender); so a girl registered and sitting the exam at Stroud High may or may not have her score standardised in the cohort for Pates / HSFG / Ribston Hall. So you may actually be competing with over a thousand for a place at SHS if you are only interested in a place there for whatever reason, but all the other girls sitting the exam opt to be included in that cohort.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
cazien

Post by cazien »

You are right ToadMum, local press has reported that 300 boys due to sit the test at Marling but 700 boys have requested their results to be shared with Marling, (up from 630 last year) and at Stroud High, 301 girls due to sit the test with 700 requesting their results be shared with Stroud High, (up from 650 last year).

Five years ago STR had a map on the wall in a corridor which highlighted the vast area surrounding this County where pupils travelled from. I know other Grammars have pupils from Chepstow, Trowbridge, Marlborough and Malvern travelling in. We also have a number who live abroad coming to take the test, demand for places is definitely high!
jerseycow

Post by jerseycow »

My eldest DD sat her 11+ at HSFG 2 years ago and although the school was her first choice she ended up going to Ribston. Now, DD2 is due to sit the test this september and we have decided for her to sit at Ribston considering she would eventually like to be at the same school as her sister. However, 2 years ago, HSFG had sent out admission test information by early July but we have yet to receive anything from Ribston. All, we have received is the confirmation email from the Gloucestershire Grammar Schools when I registered for the test in June. I phoned Ribston last friday and was told that they don't normally send out test info until late august. To me, this seems a bit late in the day considering the test is second week of september. Has anyone else had this experience?
cazien

Post by cazien »

DD sat test at HSFG last year on 12 September, her letter was dated 4 September and we received it on 8 September.

Perhaps they do not want people misplacing/forgetting the info sent out :?: I started to wonder when we would have the info as it was sent out a lot earlier for my DS's who sat it a few years ago.

Anything to add to add to the stress :roll: :lol:

Best of luck to your DD.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now