CSSE mockup

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kbodh

CSSE mockup

Post by kbodh »

My DS did Susan Dorthy's mockup over the weekend. The comprehension was objective type.
Not actual writing the answers to questions, that's were he struggle with time management.
The papers did not follow the CSSE pattern. Anybody knows any mockup exam that has actual writing CSSE pattern.

Is *** Advertising Censored *** mockup any good ? Heard something in Southend, has anybody got any details of those.
Minesatea

Re: CSSE mockup

Post by Minesatea »

Sorry no advice on paid for mocks but if you have a set of past papers your DS hasn't seen yet then run your own mock. The advice I was given (on here - sorry cant remember by who) was to sit your DC in a public library (quiet unfamiliar place) and get them to do the papers as per the timings on the front, with a toilet break in the middle.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Minesatea wrote:Sorry no advice on paid for mocks but if you have a set of past papers your DS hasn't seen yet then run your own mock. The advice I was given (on here - sorry cant remember by who) was to sit your DC in a public library (quiet unfamiliar place) and get them to do the papers as per the timings on the front, with a toilet break in the middle.
Sounds like a variation on my advice to those who stress about needing to do mocks because otherwise their little darling will have had no experience of being in the same place as lots of other people before the big day - to take them to Lakeside, leave them in a shop at one end and get them to meet mummy in a shop at the other :lol: . The library idea sounds just right - if you use the Forum in Southend, you can take your DC into El Mexicana on the ground floor for a drink and a biscuit (also authentic SHSB / SHSG experience :), although the schools only do squash rather than a selection of San Pellegrino and the like) during the break as well.

Do you mean Susan Daughtrey? Did the provider claim to be 'like a CSSE exam' when you booked? If they did and it wasn't, ask for your money back. There used to be a company which claimed to run CSSE mocks (might be the one censored in your post), but that was before the exam changed. I'm afraid it never occurred to us that ours needed the 'mock experience'; the first went in 'cold' apart from having had a go at a couple of the same type of VR papers as the ones used at the time and the younger two did a few old CSSE ones at home. Also, we are local to four of the grammars and all of ours had visited the schools for various open evenings and school / sports related events over the years.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

We just did a mock using a past paper and correct timings at our dining table. That did the job and it was free :-). I was not aware there were places you paid for your child to do a mock, are they secret because I have never seen them advertised?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are big business. Just look on the service tab on this forum and try typing eleven plus mocks into google. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SlighlyStressedMum wrote:We just did a mock using a past paper and correct timings at our dining table. That did the job and it was free :-). I was not aware there were places you paid for your child to do a mock, are they secret because I have never seen them advertised?
A few years back, whilst we were attending the meeting at SHSB about the extension of the Southend / Westcliff priority admissions area, someone from a tutoring company stuck a flyer re mocks they were running on every windscreen. When I left, the company was in line for a very shirty phone call from the school first thing the next morning :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Never heard of them. I'm in Chelmsford. We did fine without one. I was just intrigued!
kbodh

Post by kbodh »

I think taking them to local library is good option, he gets easily distracted, so that can be tough for him.
kbodh

Post by kbodh »

Its was Susan Daughtrey's 11+ mockup test.
Somebody suggested to ask for refund.
It does say on website ' questions on the ‘real’ 11+ tests'

http://www.susandaughtreyeducation.com/mock-exams/csse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'objective type' questions? Of course, SDE doesn't seem to have any free sample papers on her site to compare with the real CSSE ones. But it can't be difficult to knock up 'CSSE' type papers, since they do provide free samples on their website.

The CSSE also provides the info that their exams are not age standardised, so the statement that '11+' exams are is misleading in this case.