St Margaret's School, Bushey

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LegoFriends

St Margaret's School, Bushey

Post by LegoFriends »

I have tried to do a search for this school and can find little information about it other than it's not very academic and that pastoral care is very good.

Does anyone have a DD at this school or have any experience?

I've looked at the website and the videos which seem quite impressive.

Anyone out there that can help - this is with regard to entry at Y7.

Many thanks.
Daogroupie

Re: St Margaret's School, Bushey

Post by Daogroupie »

This is a school used as a backup by those applying for the North London consortium.

I think the students who go there do very well and all the local prep schools such as Manor Lodge, Radlet Prep and St Albans seem to recommend it. DG
LegoFriends

Post by LegoFriends »

Thanks so much for your reply.

Would you know if it is in the same 'category' as Northwood College?

It seems like a nice school and such a shame that there are not many reviews.

Thank you
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I know 2 girls (sisters) who go there and I know a girl who went there but has now just left Uni. The elder of the 2 sisters and the other girl I know both had dyslexia and were sent there by their parents because they felt it would be the best school for them as it is supportive but not very academic. They all seem (and seemed) happy with their choice. According to the parent of the girl who left a few years ago, there was quite a lot of pressure to stay on at 6th form and, in retrospect, they regretted giving in to that pressure and not leaving at 16 to go to a more academic (and mixed) 6th form (she did well in her GCSEs).
Stressing123

Post by Stressing123 »

My DD has been there since year 6 (she's just going into year 9) and is doing very well, and really enjoys it.

She did take the SW Herts Consortium ("11+") exam and gained a place at WGGS, but really wanted to stay at SMB.

Although some say it is not academic, I would agree it may not be as academic as some top schools, but students do achieve great results - my DD is pushed at school to achieve the very best, and the teaching staff are very capable. They have had a new headmistress for the last 2 years and there have been some subtle changes, for the better, and they seem to be making the school more academic whilst not losing any of the great pastoral reputation they have.

If you look at any of the independent school league tables you will usually find them towards the middle, but you have to remember that with a cohort of typically around 50-60 students for each student which does not do well the results will drop by 2%, compared to the 200 or so at WGGS (for example), where each student failing would result in a 0.5% drop.
LegoFriends

Post by LegoFriends »

Thank you so much for your reply. I was beginning to lose hope as there seems to be very little info on this school with regard to reviews.

On paper, this schools sounds good and we are going to the open day to have a better look.

My confusion is what is the difference between an "Academic" school and a "less academic" school? Does it mean pupils are pushed more in an academic school, that teaching is better, school is more selective in their admissions process?

I'm thinking that a school like SMB could provide good academic results but also provide excellent pastoral care? But then wouldn't somewhere else like St Helens also provide the same?

I get that some schools like St Pauls, Habs and NLCS are very selective but it's the other schools that I find confusing in terms of where they lie in the "ranking" for want of a better word - Royal Masonic, SMB, St Helens, Northwood College.

I may have to post this as a new post!

Looking forward to more replies.

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now