How many GCSEs at HBS?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

How many GCSEs at HBS?

Post by Middlesexmum »

Dd is going into Year 9 at HBS and starting to think about GCSE options.

I have heard that the girls take 11 subjects, is this correct and do they have to? Can they take fewer?

Also, they have all have to take triple science? Why? Seems a bit OTT if they are not going to pursue science A levels.

9 or a maximum of 10 subjects seems more than enough IMO.
Guest55

Re: How many GCSEs at HBS?

Post by Guest55 »

Each school reviews its GCSE offer each year - you could look to see if there is an Options booklet on the website but no decisions will have been made yet.

Most selective schools offer three sciences because it keeps options open. Many students find their strengths change in KS4 and it's best to keep doors open.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Students at DAO take eleven. Five options of which two have to be languages, then two English, Maths and Triple Science.

Only 15% of the year , just one class, do not take Triple Science.

I think they have been very lucky to have such tremendous opportunity. Topics from Triple Science crop up all the time in conversation.

I am really glad both my dds took it, it is automatic for 85% of the year, even though they are not continuing with Sciences.

It has given them lots of options.

I would expect HBS to be doing the same and all fully selective schools.

I am however aware that QE only allows two classes, one third of the intake take Triple Science and St Albans High School for Girls less than 50%.

What subjects is your dd interested in? DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DG - you cannot know what the offer will be for the new cohort.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:DG - you cannot know what the offer will be for the new cohort.
Well, we all know what it will be at Watford Girls Grammar School now :shock:.

Middlesexmum, unless you particularly want your DD to be able to take another arts / humanities option in place of the 'final third' of the sciences, if this were possible, I would just be grateful that all the girls do do triple science as a matter of course.

As far as we knew, DS1 was intending to be an English teacher - up until the point where I asked him what A levels he wanted to do and we discovered that he now wanted to study Biochemistry :lol:. Fortunately no-one had suggested that as he would not 'need' science subjects at A level, he shouldn't bother at GCSE and the school guided him towards single subject sciences anyway, based on his ability in science.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

DG - she wants to do History, Geography, Spanish and Drama. If it's 11 GCSEs she would have to choose one more subject so possibly RS, Latin or another language. It just seems like it's doing it for the sake of it, I think 10 subjects is enough especially when we constantly hear about the intense pressure students are under.

Older dd is at St Helen's going into Year 11. I like the system at her school in that double or triple science isn't decided until the end of Year 10 or even later. Dd did well in Year 10 and it was suggested by the school that she takes triple. However I had a conversation with the Head of Science and he said she can still take double if she wants. He was quite down on schools that insist on students taking so many subjects saying it was overkill and unnecessary and the grades are more important than the number of subjects.

Dd1 herself thinks she will probably take double for the following reasons: you can still do a science A level with double, triple is a lot more work and done at the end leaving less time for revision and she agrees with her Head of Science that it's better to get good grades for double rather than risk possibly not as good grades for triple.

Going back to dd2 at HBS, she already has a good range of subjects, what would adding one more really add?
Rao

Post by Rao »

Middlesexmum wrote:Dd is going into Year 9 at HBS and starting to think about GCSE options.

I have heard that the girls take 11 subjects, is this correct and do they have to? Can they take fewer?

Also, they have all have to take triple science? Why? Seems a bit OTT if they are not going to pursue science A levels.

9 or a maximum of 10 subjects seems more than enough IMO.
On HBS website they have stated:

'Girls are excited to study the eleven subjects they chose towards the end of Year 9. Compulsory subjects are English (comprising English and English Literature), Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, as well as one modern foreign language, either Geography or History, and one creative subject (Drama, Music, Art or Design and Technology) and two free options up to a maximum of two Modern Foreign Languages. The girls also have weekly PE and PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) lessons.'
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If there is any possibility at all that she might be interested in Science at A level she should do Triple Science.

My dds are History and English buffs but I am very glad that the option has remained open for them to do Science A levels.

It is really important not to close any doors as their interests change.

As so many students do Triple Science if I was an Admissions Officer I would be asking myself why a strong Academic candidate had chosen not to.

Yes there is pressure, but it is the same for everyone. My dd just sat 25 papers in 6 weeks but so did most of her year and everyone else we know in a semi or fully selective school.

You are not doing yourself any favours if you choose to shy away from challenges that everyone else is tackling.

Parents in other schools fight for their student to be able to do Triple Science. You are lucky that both students are at schools where they get the opportunity.

PS I am interested to see that you can only do two languages at HBS at GCSE. Several students at DAO did three as the three options are completely free options. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

(Quoting Daogroupie)
Parents in other schools fight for their student to be able to do Triple Science. You are lucky that both students are at schools where they get the opportunity. 

Or are not even given the opportunity to fight for them to do so...

I still don't understand how, if there is so much more content in the new Science GCSEs that some schools are barring even able students from taking triple science, the double award can be just as good a preparation for the new A level? Surely the whole of the 'triple' element in each subject can't be either completely irrelevant to further study, or more or less fully duplicated in the A level?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is the same old tosh as the old "CSSE Grade one" was the same as an O level.

It wasn't and employers and universities did not treat it as such despite what the government said.

Science A levels are hard enough without making it harder for yourself by only doing Double Science.

Don't close that door. DG