Moving to Amersham/Gerrards X during school year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
movingtobucks

Moving to Amersham/Gerrards X during school year

Post by movingtobucks »

We are planning to move to Bucks later this year but it's subject to a house move. Our son will go to Year 6 in his current school however I have registered him to sit the 11+ exam in Sept 2016 (as an out of area applicant). We were hoping to send him to a selective private school so he has some familiarity with entrance exams but not 11+.

We are not sure when a move may happen as it depends on the house sale. It is however likely that we will sell our house (under offer) soon but so far haven't found a place to buy (chain fell through after Brexit) so may move in with family, who are fortunate to have a large house in catchment of a few grammar schools.
A few questions from a 11+ novice :)
1.If my son passes the 11+ does the 'result' hold for a timeframe? i.e what if we are not in the area until November? Will we still be able to apply for a grammar school then?
2. If we moved in with family they are limited ways to prove address since we won't be on the utility bill or have a formal rental agreement - does anyone know of situations like this? Our previous house will be sold so that can be proven.

We would prefer Dr Challoners as my son's cousins are there but we are moving to the area to be close to family so any grammar school would work - is there a better chance of getting into some schools on the late admissions? Since we don't have a house yet we can look at catchment for other schools.
Guest55

Re: Moving to Amersham/Gerrards X during school year

Post by Guest55 »

You needed to be living in the area by April of Year 5 to get DCGS in the first round.

The CAF needs to be submitted by the end of October - do read:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... y-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to have evidence of where you live or they will take your current address. I would suggest renting somewhere or you may have a problem.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Also make sure you are happy with the catchment upper schools in case your son doesn't pass the 11 plus.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Very good point scary mum.

OP, we can suggest the better Uppers if that would be helpful - qualifying isn't a 'given'.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Apart from Dr Challoners (and possibly SWB in Marlow), which has the earlier date for address evidence, the deadline to move into area/close range is 1st October.

If you move after that your application will still be considered from your old address (unlikely to deliver a place, although it depends on where you are), and your new address will be considered for the second round of allocations in approximately mid-April. You will be relying on the waiting list for a place, and that comes down to distance from your new address.

My advice would be to place a rocket under your buyer and complete your move by 1st October latest!

Verifying your temporary address with family could be a bit tricky, but provided you are completely transparent about your situation, I don't think it is a serious stumbling block.
movingtobucks

Post by movingtobucks »

Thanks so much for the responses. Moving to a 11+ area without the local knowledge feels daunting.

Yes, would appreciate recommendations for the better Uppers (and potentially private). I suspect we will rent as this feels the safest way.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I will PM names of Uppers.