Apostrophes to show posession

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Golden_Jubilee

Apostrophes to show posession

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

My DD who will be in year 5 this Sept is generally good in punctuation but always gets confused with apostrophes where it shows possession for plural nouns. e.g. if it should be Children's or Childrens', Boys' or Boy's (assuming it should be boys' in this case).

Her school teacher explained to the class as I saw the home work few weeks back. She got it then and forgot after few days. I tried explaining this to her few times. She gets it and then forgets it again. May be I am not explaining her properly. Can any one suggest any good resource that can help please?

many thanks
ToadMum

Re: Apostrophes to show posession

Post by ToadMum »

Children is already the plural of child, so children's is the possessive. The apostrophe comes after the thing which is doing the possessing, so to speak, so boy's for a boy and boys' for more than one boy.

I was taught it as e.g.'The child(, hi)'s toy' etc. You just have to remember that for plurals, the ' represents " , their', which admittedly might be a bit confusing at this stage.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

This may assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOtMa2JyfXk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Golden_Jubilee

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

That was really fun learning.

Thank you quasimodo for the link and thank you ToadMum for the kind response. Will try my luck again this week-end.

So hard being a parent :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now