Transport from Milton Keynes to Aylesbury

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yofina

Transport from Milton Keynes to Aylesbury

Post by yofina »

Just wondering if there are any parents from MK whose children hasn't got a space in a bus to Grammar schools in Aylesbury .
We have tried three different transport companies with no luck so far. All of them have long waiting list. We are on RedKite waiting list since April this year and just been told not to expected space before Xmas. Anyone from MK is planning to drive to Aylesbury on daily basis to take children to school?
anotherdad

Re: Transport from Milton Keynes to Aylesbury

Post by anotherdad »

Are you suggesting a car share? You've left it late to organise a private taxi/minibus. Good luck. It's not an easy journey to make twice every day.
yofina

Post by yofina »

My daughter goes to AHS and uses bus service provided by Amey Transport Services for the last 3 years.

Unfortunately we have missed a renewal date (21st of June due to internet connection problems) for her bus pass by literately few hours.

When I called Amey Services at Buckingham County Council on June 22nd the lady on the phone was very helpful and advised us to quickly apply again
to secure the place for my daughter which we did straight away, as she has been using their service for last 3 years.

A few days later we received a letter from Amey Service stating that we had missed our transport renewal date.
When I called Buckingham County Council to clarify if our daughter still had a seat I was told that our application was being processed and results would be sent out in August.

In an attempt to secure a seat for my daughter I have called all possible bus operators which operate routes between Milton Keynes and Aylesbury.

Unfortunately the only bus operators Red Kite and Marshall are full with long waiting list of 100 children !!!

On 4th of August we received a letter confirming that our daughter had not secured a seat for year 2015/2016.

September is approaching very fast and my daughter and nearly 100 other children are facing serious problem as how to get
to schools in Aylesbury from Milton Keynes hence the question if anybody else is in similar situation.
Driving twice per day to Aylesbury looks like the only option for now for us :(
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

What about the train. It's about a 15 minute walk from the train station to AHS.
Alternatively could you get all the parents together and hire a bus yourselves. I expect the public bus company would put one on if you could give them 100 signatures from people saying they would use it daily.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I don't think there's a practical rail route to Aylesbury from MK.

I agree that a private bus paid for by a group of you would seem the best bet this close to the start of term.

This could become a more widespread problem as more and more parents from further afield apply for and secure a place at one of Aylesbury's GSs. It's certainly a cautionary tale for those looking at entry in year 7. How sure are those parents that a viable transport option will be available for seven years? If, as you say, 200 children are on a waiting list already, it is already a serious problem adding substantial costs and disruption to over 100 families.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If there are already nearly two buses-worth of children on waiting lists, though, wouldn't the bus companies have 'doubled up' on their routes by now if they were willing to? It sounds rather like the old joke, 'People keep asking us for that, but I tell them, there's just no demand for it'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

Surely you could get the Arriva bus that goes from MK to Aylesbury (can't remember the number) but it's the public bus
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:Surely you could get the Arriva bus that goes from MK to Aylesbury (can't remember the number) but it's the public bus
Looking at the timetable for the route 150, the one which gets to Aylesbury at 'school start' time only starts from Leighton Buzzard - is the assumption that you will get the train to there from Milton Keynes?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Devir

Post by Devir »

I am having a similar situation this term for my child who goes to AGS. Any other parents having a similar situation and have not got a space in school transport?
Yofina,
Please advise wha you did for your daughter last year?

Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Devir wrote:I am having a similar situation this term for my child who goes to AGS. Any other parents having a similar situation and have not got a space in school transport?
Yofina,
Please advise wha you did for your daughter last year?

Thanks
Unless 'Yolina' visits the forum without logging in, the last time she was on here was 30th August last year, so you might try sending a PM?