Perseid Meteor Shower 11th and 12th August 2016

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
quasimodo

Perseid Meteor Shower 11th and 12th August 2016

Post by quasimodo »

Hard to believe another year has gone by and we have another opportunity to gaze and wonder at the heavens.

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/9/12411932/pe ... ive-stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... or#p523495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
ConfusedFather

Re: Perseid Meteor Shower 11th and 12th August 2016

Post by ConfusedFather »

Trying to motivate myself to see them and wake up the kids.
They are supposed to be exceptional this year.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

We are going to try and watch them tonight.My youngest slept in this morning.The whole family are at a pre wedding party in the middle of rural Warwickshire which will go into the early hours.Hopefully there is not too much light pollution and my eyes are not too glazed to appreciate this wonder properly.I have seen it before but it doesn't cease to amaze me.There are always more questions than answers. Every time you look at the night sky you see the past as by the time light gets to our eyes the reality has moved on.Stars we see may no longer exist.Life out there maybe looking at our star.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

Watched it with the family. We went to see it along the Thames.
Was really nice, couple of thins though:

- light pollution is high, even on a random meadow.
- kids were getting tired, so we left before midnight and peak of meteor shower.

I'll definitely try it another time in a few years.