Lost Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cully

Lost Appeal

Post by Cully »

I'd also like some advice please.
My eldest daughter passed the 12+ but her preferred GS (AHS) is full so we went to the IAP with our appeal centred on the long and difficult journey to her current school. Anyway, we lost the appeal because although the IAP agreed that she has a challenging transport issue (bus journey time of up to 2:20 each way) they stated that "it appears that she is happily placed at her present school".
Following advice on this forum about appeals I was not negative about her current school and based the appeal purely on the transport issue - which they accepted.
Does anyone have any advice as to what to do next?
ToadMum

Re: Lost Appeal - do I have grounds to complain to the EFA?

Post by ToadMum »

If the journey time is the pertinent issue, are there no schools closer to where you live than one which takes over two hours to get to?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Re: Lost Appeal

Post by Guest55 »

Your case should also have focused on why AHS is the best school for her needs; you have to overcome the prejudice to the school of accepting another student.

Without that evidence, then the fact you've chosen a school with a two hour plus journey is down to your choice - there must be a good school nearer you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome. :)

I've moved your post so that you can have your own thread.
the IAP agreed that she has a challenging transport issue
They may have agreed with your argument, but they were still entitled to take the view that the school's case for prejudice was stronger, and outweighed the case you put forward.
Does anyone have any advice as to what to do next?
I'm afraid there's nothing you can do, unless it can be shown that the panel did something incorrectly, and this caused an injustice.
You cannot challenge the panel's decision because you disagree with it - there would need to be a serious procedural error.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Cully

Post by Cully »

Thanks for the warm welcome and for all of the replies.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now