School backpack

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ash14

School backpack

Post by ash14 »

Are there any parents who can help on the type of school backpack to get for my son. He starts The Crypt School in September and I'm not sure what size/type to get him. He will be carrying his Laptop in there and well as everything else too :)
quasimodo

Re: School backpack

Post by quasimodo »

This was very useful advice from a previous thread.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =rucksacks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

We struggled to find a big enough backpack to hold lunch, books and laptop when ds started 5 years ago. A lot of boys carry their laptop separately but we were worried it might get left on the bus etc! In the end we bought a fab backpack which has lasted all the way through to sixth form, it's a Jansport Big Student backpack. It has two big compartments and various pockets and good shoulder straps. It was brill and ds's friends ended up buying the same one. I think it was about £40 but well worth the money as its still going strong after five years.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just curious, are we talking about full-sized laptops here??
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

ToadMum wrote:Just curious, are we talking about full-sized laptops here??
they are notebook sized but in quite a bulky but robust carrycase but I don't like ds having his visible on the bus and fitting everything in 1 bag reduces the risk of ds leaving something somewhere
Ds has this backpack: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastpak-EK5201 ... k+rucksack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it was expensive but is seems to stand up to the abuse of being carried around by a teen boy and plenty of space for everything needed ( ds is at Crypt)
ash14

Post by ash14 »

thank you so much everyone! Will have a look at the links!
Jellyicecream

Post by Jellyicecream »

Hi ash,

We stared off with a mountain warehouse one, the laptop cases are big and it would only just fit it but the Zips were a bit tight and broke as my son tried to squeeze too much in it. The laptop in case won't fit into the laptop pockets they have. After the Zips broke with took the case with us to try rucksacks out.

We now use the north face jester rucksack (was 23.80 reduced from £50 from Glos quays). Though it might come in different sizes or have a different name now.
It fitted the laptop/books well but doesn't look massive. It has good sturdy zips and reflectors which was important to me as he will cross roads in the dark in winter, it also has bottle holders.

Of course he just wanted a super dry one! Has a super dry pencil case instead.
ash14

Post by ash14 »

Thank you- we will be going to have a look this weekend :)
titch

Post by titch »

Couple of years ago I saw a St Edwards teenager with a backpack that had second slightly smaller backpack clipped to the front of it by 4 clips. At the time I thought what a good idea, now I am kicking myself for not asking what brand it was or where he got it as it would be brilliant for sports kit or laptop.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

titch wrote:Couple of years ago I saw a St Edwards teenager with a backpack that had second slightly smaller backpack clipped to the front of it by 4 clips. At the time I thought what a good idea, now I am kicking myself for not asking what brand it was or where he got it as it would be brilliant for sports kit or laptop.
IKEA do this one. It is on wheels which may not be what you are looking for, but a colleague had one & it was really good
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea ... -50217766/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now