didn't get grades for medicine- need new direction

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MamaBear

didn't get grades for medicine- need new direction

Post by MamaBear »

hi, my nephew did not get the grades for medicine and is stuck on what to do next. Any ideas?

He got C's and B's in Maths, Chem and Biology. He is also very good with computers.
Tinkers

Re: didn't get grades for medicine- need new direction

Post by Tinkers »

What about other careers within the health profession?

Without physics, most engineering courses are out but some chem eng courses will take maths and chemistry. With the biology, biochemical engineering is a possibility. However I wouldn't recommend doing engineering without physics normally.
Amber

Post by Amber »

He needs time to think and shouldn't rush into anything. He now has an enforced gap year and should spend the first three months researching alternatives. If he wanted to do Medicine then perhaps a profession allied to it - nursing, osteopathy, radiography, Occupational therapy? Or perhaps if he loved one of his subjects then try to improve his grade with a resit and study it in 2017? He ought to be able to get some voluntary and paid work quite easily now as lots of those currently doing it will be heading off to university.

Some employers will offer apprenticeships for computer-based careers but if he wanted to be a doctor I imagine he isn't going to want to do that.

As you know I am a massive fan of gap years and he may find that the growing up he does during it will enable him to take a mature and considered decision at the end of it.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

+1 for benefits of gap year, especially when you need to change direction.

For someone who had their heart set on medicine, they need to think very carefully about next steps. It's all well to not make it in to do chosen course at preferred uni and then find alternative uni, but to rethink everything during pressure of clearing process is too much.

Is it possible to reapply to medicine with resits in the autumn? Has he considered a place on a foundation year course where they have a chance to move on to medicine at the end of the first year? If these are not options, then perhaps the allied healthcare professions if it is a career in the health sector he is interested in. I don't think they are a natural alternative for everyone though. Or if his interests are more scientific / chemistry, then perhaps pharmacy as career?
UmSusu
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Lots of options - biomedical sciences, speech therapy, physiotherapy, graduate medicine, ...

He could probably get a place for CS this year if he's really wants to go now but I'd recommend a gap year - think to think and look seriously at what he really wants.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Take a useful gap year-a higher one year apprenticeship say in computing or any of the subjects mentioned above, build up the cv.

One year is nothing in the life of an 18yr old.

How about being a paramedic, med schools love x-paramedics and try again if he really is passionate about medicine.

Never give in and don't let the b-----ds grind you down.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

There are alternative routes to follow and gap years are a blessing! Just needs to be planned really well to make the most of it. He'll be over 18 yrs so this opens many of the doors in terms of work experience. But he could pursue his other interests too , go abroad etc

Is he considering alternative medicine related degrees? The only disadvantage with that is that if he has his heart set on medicine , it's more expensive going down that route. And also, graduate medicine seems more competitive than the undergraduate A100 course.

If he really wants to study medicine then retaking his A levels next year would be a good idea. It seems that the entrance requirements for mbbs and bio med courses have gone up by some uni, so he needs to be aware of that. Eg this year, we only found out on ds1 interview that ICL would offer him an A* in chem or bio- but it wasn't mentioned in prospectus! Same with biomed: gone up by some providers from AAB to AAA.

Most gap year applicants are stronger candidates for university courses as they've had more life experience and maturity than those straight from sixth form. This is a golden opportunity and his results are a blessing in disguise.
Best wishes.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DIY Mum wrote:Most gap year applicants are stronger candidates for university courses as they've had more life experience and maturity than those straight from sixth form. This is a golden opportunity and his results are a blessing in disguise.
+1
As the mother of one, I cannot believe what a huge difference some time between school and university has made. In our case it wasn't results which forced the situation, but my goodness can I recommend that time out?! I am very much hoping that both my remaining children will take a gap year - in these days of massive debt and huge pressure, I think it is so so sensible.

Have I said that before? :oops:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I agree with everything said here. My eldest was a year older when she went to university and it was definitely a good thing ,,(it is very common now, 3 out of 4 in her accommodation were 19 turning 20 in their first year.
The only thing I would say is that if he really wants to do a course allied to medicine he will probably need to retake some exams. The entry requirements seem to be very high these days. I know some (eg Warwick) offer the opportunity to teNsfer to medicine from the biomedical course must I think the entry requirements were AAA or AAB.
scary mum
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thank you so much for all the replies, I will pass on the info. Just heard of another boy with 2 A* and an A being rejected for medicine and he really had his heart set on it. My two boys 14 and 12 really want to be doctors and I feel terrified (inside) for them, but it's good for them to aim high.