new spec AS results 'more variable'

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

new spec AS results 'more variable'

Post by Guest55 »

Article on today's BBC education:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37026755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 13 AS-levels affected are:

art and design, biology, business studies, chemistry, computing, economics, English language and literature, English language, English literature, history, physics, psychology, sociology
scary mum

Re: new spec AS results 'more variable'

Post by scary mum »

Super. Why is it always my DCs affected by changes? First year of no January A level exams - tick. First year of new ASs- tick. First year of new maths & English GCSEs - tick. Sorry, slight rant - I know thousands of families are in the same position!
scary mum
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I can't see Geography on there, my son is devastated- his AS levels were bbdd with a d in his best subject Geography. He thought all his exams went well and was very relaxed going in for his results.

Does anyone have any cheering stories of success at A level after disappointing A level results? :(
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Geography hasn't changed yet, it is still the old system, with the AS counting towards the A2.
A friend if mine's son turned his around. He got fairly disappointing AS results last year (I'm not sure exactly what) but this year got very good grades & is off to a top university to study chemistry. It has to come from them too (we are in a similar position to you - I know it's lack of application rather than aptitude, which is frustrating).
scary mum
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

My son worked really hard- the result was a complete shock, he was in a terrible state yesterday when he phoned me. We've sent for the paper to look at.

His GCSE geography was remarked and they found 12 extra marks, taking him to an A. I'm hoping for similar again. :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

He needs to get the papers back and see where he went wrong.

How close was he to the grade boundary? If his subjects are modular then the UMS score is as important as the grade.

PM me if you want to discuss in more detail.
Amber

Post by Amber »

TIDDLYMUM wrote: Does anyone have any cheering stories of success at A level after disappointing A level results? :(
A close friend of mine's son turned a low C in Maths at AS into a solid A, as well as mediocre Bs into a high B and another A. As G55 says it is the UMS which matter not the grade so have a look at that in conjunction with the grade boundaries. Said DC gave up his beloved sporting hobby, at which he was regional standard, for 6 months, and worked like a trojan. On results day he was automatically sent for reconsideration as his grades were so much higher than he had been predicted and he had hit the (then) magic AAB; and he got into a top university to do the subject of his choice. He has since graduated with a first and is about to start a PhD.

I think that is a cheering story of success; but as scary says it has to come from them. A determined 17 year old has the world at his or her fingertips but they need to want it badly enough. :D
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

All thanks for replying , it feels really nice to know people take the time to do so !

Guest - we sent off for the papers yesterday, he was well off the grade boundary overall but I think 1 off a C on 1 paper ( to be honest I haven't looked yet but I will).

He really was predicted a solid A so a D has floored him completely. He mentioned to his dad that when he came out and discussed with other candidates , that they seemed to be all on a similar track. Just can't imagine how it's gone so awry :( .

Anyway, onwards and upwards, he's always been a very focused and hard working boy, I've never had to nag him to do his schoolwork. And he badly wants to do well, hopefully all of this will stand him in good stead.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You did ask for copies didn't you? If there are errors you can then ask for a re-mark but not if you get the actual paper.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:My son worked really hard- the result was a complete shock, he was in a terrible state yesterday when he phoned me. We've sent for the paper to look at.

His GCSE geography was remarked and they found 12 extra marks, taking him to an A. I'm hoping for similar again. :?
TM despite our previous disagreements ,I really feel for you.

It's time for DS to wipe away the tears and crawl out of the bed covers and fight,24 hours is enough!

He sounds like a real fighter, the secret to success is resilience ,turning negatives into positives.

But do get remarks if grades are significantly below predictions.

I lost faith with the exams boards along time ago.

He'll be fine how can he not be with a mum like you :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now