ColCHS new starts - am I a negligent parent?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Proudmumregardless

ColCHS new starts - am I a negligent parent?

Post by Proudmumregardless »

I've only just noticed the requests from the maths and English departments for work over the summer.

Dd has been so busy (and tbh I'm pleased she's been relaxing and not doing school work!) that ColCHS prep has gone out the window other than a flurry of hyper organisation I had on the last day of term when I got her uniform!

Anyone else in the same boat?
ToadMum

Re: ColCHS new starts - am I a negligent parent?

Post by ToadMum »

Proudmumregardless wrote:I've only just noticed the requests from the maths and English departments for work over the summer.

Dd has been so busy (and tbh I'm pleased she's been relaxing and not doing school work!) that ColCHS prep has gone out the window other than a flurry of hyper organisation I had on the last day of term when I got her uniform!

Anyone else in the same boat?
Not ColCHS and not a new year 7, but it was only when DD (going into year 11 at SHSG) herself mentioned something at lunchtime today about how much she has got to do before September 2nd that I realised that I had completely forgotten to ask :lol:. Wouldn't have made much difference, though. It would still have been un -done at this stage even if I had...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Again not a parent of a student at your DC's school but we had a big time off and the last week she did her Latin project and her first day intro talk prep project for her school. DD has packed her bag for first day but can't do her PE kit yet as I haven't labelled all the kit so I am the weak link. I did hear that in past years only some did the assignments and it didn't attach any penalty if they didn't - DD just says she want to try her best so is keen to do what she can.
KB

Post by KB »

I suspect it's partly to try to stop the infamous 'summer slippage' and partly to keep those who want to prepare satisfied.
It can't be compulsory but it's probably a good idea to do some of it at least?
Its not a bad idea to get their school brains switched on about now in any case so starting a bit each day would be fine wouldn't it? Doesn't seem to be any cause for concern.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

Hi Proudmumregardless, is your DD just about to start - ie Yr 7 from Sept?

My DD has just finished Yr 10 at Colchs - I don't remember having to do anything before starting Yr 7, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are about to go into YR 8, or later years then I would think you need to do it. DD was given quite a lot to do over the summer, needless to say she hasn't done it yet.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

sleeplessinhalstead wrote:Hi Proudmumregardless, is your DD just about to start - ie Yr 7 from Sept?

My DD has just finished Yr 10 at Colchs - I don't remember having to do anything before starting Yr 7, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are about to go into YR 8, or later years then I would think you need to do it. DD was given quite a lot to do over the summer, needless to say she hasn't done it yet.
Does she know our DD, by any chance? :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Two-at-once

Post by Two-at-once »

Hi there, we're in the same boat too! Enjoying the summer before the hard work. I did consider encouraging some of the suggested reading but she'd read a couple of them already and preferred to stick with a Zoella book and David Walliams! The most she's done with any maths prep is to unpack her new calculator! This will be the last summer of no homework so hopefully I've made the right decision and any brains haven't shrivelled up from lack of use!
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

She's going into year 7. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't pushed it. I've put the free books onto her kindle for her and shown her the list and the closest she's got to maths is her music theory (which she sees as a puzzle book so takes herself off to do, strange child).

My thought is she's going to be under enough pressure as it is so enjoy this last summer of fun!
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

I have 2 children at Grammar schools so far and neither have had homework during the summer thus far so I wouldn't worry about this year being the last year of fun!!
KB

Post by KB »

Ditto but I guess girls school may be different?
At CRGS they worked them hard during term but gave very little homework in any holidays until GCSEs.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now