Remarks 2016 for information

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Remarks 2016 for information

Post by moved »

I thought people could add information on this page as OFQUAL changed the rules rhis year.

I know of one so far.

Context: independent school
Subject: chemistry
Exam board: Edexcel
Reason: 1 UMS from next grade boundary
Result: down 7 UMS, 3 raw marks, no grade change
WFW1112

Re: Remarks 2016 for information

Post by WFW1112 »

DS's A2 Physics 8 UMS from an A and A2 Chemistry 4 UMS from an A. After re-marks Physics up by 8 UMS and Chemistry up by 5 UMS, so both A's in the end, His first choice Uni is able to reinstate their offer for him. Both subjects were AQA.

Such a roller coaster journey!
supermummy

Post by supermummy »

** info comes indirectly from teens so no further verification**but two of DDs friends were marked down following remarks.

The first had 87 UMS (RS) so was already a strong A. Wanted to push higher and got remarked down to 62 UMS taking the overall grade down to a C.

Similar story for second friend who had a B in English at AS and wanted to push up to an A to secure a Cambridge interview but was remarked down to a C.

Not sure how indicative these cases are but thought it was worth sharing.

Regards

Daniella
KB

Post by KB »

Shocking but lesson perhaps that unless it's urgent at A2 for Uni place it's worth getting COPIES of papers back first and teachers to look at them before going for a re-mark.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I've ordered the paper back and its arrived back to school, got to pick it up tomorrow.
WFW1112

Post by WFW1112 »

We have asked for copies of papers at the same time, but copies haven't come back yet, the results of remarking came back earlier than we expected. We considered we were just lucky.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Late on Friday I emailed a request to the Exams Officer at school for copies of 2 of the AS Maths papers. At 10am on Monday I had an email back saying she's got my payment and had put in the request. But 12noon we had been emailed back copies of the papers. Very impressed with a 2hour turn around!

A teacher has looked at the papers and I'm trying to decide if it's worth risking getting C2 remaked. DS just needs 1 more mark.
KB

Post by KB »

Ally - what does your DS need the one more mark for? For maths at AS the UMS are more important than the grade so it's probably not worth taking a risk unless the teacher is certain there is no possibility of loosing marks.

Presumably there isn't a particular urgency?

Guest55 is really helpful if you have a specific 'maths'question.
Ally

Post by Ally »

One more mark and he would move up an overall grade. Yes it's only AS's and he could resit the paper next summer to improve his chance of gain a better overall A2 grade. There's a 30 mark difference between his C1 and C2 marks!

He seems really good at getting an overall mark one below the grade boundary. He did that with a couple of subjects last year, but we didn't look into a remark as they weren't his A level subjects.

I don't think it'll alter his predicted grade, But would it look better on his Uni applications?
KB

Post by KB »

Yes it would be better for his UCAS if the overall AS grade is higher and if he is going to resit C2 then the risk of it going down is less critical.
Have you had a reliable maths teacher check the C2 paper to see if they can see anywhere where the extra UMS could be given or more importantly where any marks might be taken off by a harsher examiner?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now