Reading Time Question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ashtara

Reading Time Question

Post by Ashtara »

I am hoping one of the parents whose child did the exam last year can answer this question for me:

Is the 10 minute reading time for the English exam just to read the text for the comprehension or are you allowed to read the questions during this time too.

I say this because my son prefers to scan the questions first before he starts reading the text. Would be grateful if one of you lovely people could let me know.
Blitz

Re: Reading Time Question

Post by Blitz »

I believe reading time is to read anything and everything on the English paper including the comprehension, questions, applied reasoning and writing tasks.

Candidates have 10 minutes to read but they must not pick up a pencil during this time.
Mci

Post by Mci »

Hello to all,

My DD is used to read the text and underline or circle important information in the text.
As I understand from Blitz, the procedure is totally different. I am confused and scared as she got used to do it in a different manner. English is not her strongest.

Does this mean that they can't underline in the text when reading?

Ashtara, is the way your DS do it, by scanning the questions first easier?

Oh my God, not too long and so confused...
Thank you all in advance for your answers!
Ashtara

Post by Ashtara »

I wouldn't say it was easier, but just how he prefers it. We have tried both methods and it's the same results. I have always know they are not allowed to mark the paper in the first 10 minutes so I have not encouraged that.

English comprehension is by far his worst subject. He averages 60% on every test I give him and every time we go through the test after it is always the same - he hates the subject so rushes to get it over with and try's to answer without referring back to the text.

At this late stage I have no idea how I am going to get him to change but the way I see it - he has come this far just see what happens on the day.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Just to confirm, this is an email a forum member got from CSSE admin last year:
fausto wrote:Email from the CSSE -

With regard to the ten minutes reading time, the children are only allowed to read during this time and will not be allowed to write anything. They will be told when the ten minutes is up. The candidates can read any part of the English paper during this ten minutes.

Regards
CSSE Admin
Mci

Post by Mci »

Thank you very much for your answers, Blitz and Ashtara!

I am not saying a way is easier than the other, I am just concerned because I do not know if they are allowed to use the pen to underline or not. It is really late for us to change their way of approaching things I think.

As CSSE say in the quote and thank you very much Blitz for this, they can read the text and the questions during the 10 minutes reading time, but they do not specify if they are allowed to underline... Probably not if it is said no writing allowed during this time.

Ashtara, why do you want him to change the way of doing it? I think it is good as he does it.

Thank you!
Ashtara

Post by Ashtara »

Mci sorry I probably misled you, what I meant was getting him to change the way he approaches it and not rush it so he refers back to the text for each question.

Thank god his maths is better (anything between 45 and 55 out of 60 on those)
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

I just asked my son to clarify, he took it last year.

He said you can read any part of the English paper in the ten mins reading time. I think he skim read the entire paper.

He also said you cannot write at all during this ten minutes, not even underlining.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think this is a real shame as I consider it a key skill to identify and underline key parts of the text as you read. This is how I approach comprehension myself.

However I do agree that they should be reading and not writing in the first ten minutes. DG
Mci

Post by Mci »

I totally agree Daogroupie, that is why I have done it with my DD.
Now we have tried to do it as they are supposed to do in the exam and she seemed to rush while reading and not to look for important information...

God help us and everybody in the exam!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now