CEM CCHS exam vocabulary help last minute

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pure76

CEM CCHS exam vocabulary help last minute

Post by pure76 »

Hi. Im hoping somebody is able to help me.

Could I ask the following? If you have the time that is to answer.

For the vocabulary section of the CEM for VR and english, do you think its sufficient to just teach my daughter the 11 plus lists that are around via cards and on this site, or do you think that they are the basics and do I need to expland on those and get her to cover further vocabulary other than what she comes across in books and the list that others have contributed to this site? I just ask as my daughter is preparing for the CCHS exam this week and I thought her vocab was of a decent level, but just doing some of the *** Advertising Censored *** online tests on vr and english, we are finding that the words are so much more difficult and my daughter is struggling with quite a few of them, Im not sure if you would know, but is it possible that this particular commercial 11 plus site has made the words much harder on purpose is that the level I need to be teaching her to for vocabulary. Sorry, just had a shock as did these tests over the weekend and now panicking. She has been doing really well on the tests like DIY and the CEM by Bond and schofied, CSSE past papers etc scoring very very highly, but this mock she did on the weekend her scores were around 70% and most of the things she got wrong were because she did not know the meanings of some of the hard words.
Would really appreciate any advice you may have as to how hard/what level the vocabulary would be and am i teaching her at the right level?
Many thanks
Golden_Jubilee

Re: CEM CCHS EXAM VOCABULARY HELP LAST MINUTE

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

Hi Pure76, I believe your DD is sitting the 10th Sept exam in five days time?

If so, I would not panic or let DD panic either. Just encourage her to do her best based on her current knowledge,. If you try to teach her at the last minute, she may go into panic mode and may not answer the things she knows already. If she has done fair amount of practice, most likely she will be fine.

Keep yourself calm to keep her calm as they do sense it otherwise.

On a separate note though, if you really think you have missed a question type that she is not aware, just let her know casually that she may expect this type of question and in CEM a complete new question type may come up. As long as she knows that....that will keep them calm in the exam hall. End of the day they are only 10 year olds.
Last edited by Golden_Jubilee on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
pure76

Re: CEM CCHS EXAM VOCABULARY HELP LAST MINUTE

Post by pure76 »

Thankyou Golden Jubilee for your reply. Yes, agree that its not good for dd if I am stressed. We just had a blip after a low score on a mock test, but wish I had not put her down for it now as she was scoring really well pn past papers and was full of confidence until this particular mock. But anyway.......

We did a past paper this afternoon and she again did really well and I am leaving it at that :D

Also, Thankyou to Blitz who gave me some great advice which helped with the confidence levels also.

Thankyou to all those that regularly contribute helpful advice and share some great tips. Its appreciated. when trying to get info locally, the whole 11 plus tutoring and preparing process seems to be so cloak and dagger and not many are open to sharing their tutors details etc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now