Found this great maths book...I reccomend

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MimiTa

Found this great maths book...I reccomend

Post by MimiTa »

I have bought tons of 11+ books and non-11 plus,piles,second-hand and many new...but I have just dug out Collins Revision,Key Stage 3 Maths,level 5-8,large red book with about 230 pages. It is packed with maths tutorial (brief),then examples and then questions from a large number of maths topics,most of which appear in 11+ even though it is not an 11+ book.It has equations, geometry, data,radio,proportion.... tons. It also has answers at the back. I wish we had started this book earlier as it is great compared to the tiny,overpriced official 11+ books that give no explanation and for some you need to pay another fortune for the separate answer booklet.

Also,I have found so useful the small old 11+question book (blue and purple,the same thing,different colour) "Genuine Exam Questions from Yesteryear" I bought on Ebay for a couple of pounds. It is full of 11+ questions (and answers) from 30-40 years ago,but most are still in 11+ tests,like speed,proportion ,etc...Very useful and with a huge number of questions,even general knowledge,just the stuff you find in 11+ books today.Tons of small tests with answers in it.

Also,the free Maths Centre website has explanations,questions,answers,just great,all free.

I find many 11+ books a rip off,some have no answers, or you need to pay extra, most have no explanation,many are quite small yet not cheap.

Any other,not so obvious,recommendations for DIY 11+?
Guest55

Re: Found this great maths book...I reccomend

Post by Guest55 »

I cannot agree with your recommendation - that Collins book contains far too many topics that aren't relevant to the 11+. It is not in line with the new Primary curriculum either.

Have moderators approved the website you mention?
russet

Post by russet »

I just googled "Maths centre", and watched the video on logs. I think it was a New Zealand site, so I don't know if this was what you meant.

Anyway, it was an excellent explanation. Many of the topics are above 11+ and may be good for A level candidates. Perhaps you should post in there as well?

I used Key stage books for dd. CGP and Letts do similar revision books. I would suggest anyone wanting to use these for 11+ maths goes to Waterstones or Smiths and lets their child choose which to get. They are probably titled by year rather than key stage now as the curriculum has changed.

Guest 55 is correct that the moderators can be a bit funny about website suggestions.
MimiTa

Post by MimiTa »

I think you cannot post links and advertise fee-paying websites,otherwise free ones are fine as no profit there for anyone.
russet

Post by russet »

Oh good. Khan Academy.
MimiTa

Post by MimiTa »

Thanks,great website.

English Leap website is also great for English,but you need to start well before the exam,just a few months is too late for the vocabulary.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

russet wrote:Oh good. Khan Academy.
is to be avoided if you want your child to understand the correct terminology and the current approach to teaching and learning in the UK.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

What is the maths site you always recommend, G55? I know you have a favourite but the name completely escapes me now! Also, out of curiousity, why does it matter if children use sources not in line with the curriculum, surely it just gives a broader view of the subject? If my DS or I don't understand an explanation, we find looking at a different source can sometimes clarify things.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Khan Academy contains wrong terminology and incorrect approaches for this country.

There is a thread with many suggestions which I will ask to be updated over the next few weeks.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Many thanks, G55 - just headed over to the maths thread and found my answer!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now