Ideas for 18th Birthday present for girls?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Ideas for 18th Birthday present for girls?

Post by Daogroupie »

Any ideas for 18th birthday present for girls? It can be little things as well as big.

Expectations are high and delivery at present is looking very weak! DG
scary mum

Re: Ideas for 18th Birthday present for girls?

Post by scary mum »

18 little presents depending on what your DD likes - a book, nail varnish, a mug to take if & when she goes to university, favourite chocolates, iTunes voucher, nail salon voucher, walking boots, something to do with a sport she lives, tickets to the theatre, cinema, concert, whatever. It all depends what she likes. Last parcel could be the big item - watch, jewellery, festival tickets or promise of them?
scary mum
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

An Escape Room Live event for her and 3-4 friends followed by vouchers for a meal at whatever eaterie is 'in' at the moment? Nandos?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The '2 for 1' leaflet from our local station (https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london) has a 'Chocolate Tour' and a 'Cupcake & Macaron Tour', both with samples, amongst its offers.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:18 little presents depending on what your DD likes - a book, nail varnish, a mug to take if & when she goes to university, favourite chocolates, iTunes voucher, nail salon voucher, walking boots, something to do with a sport she lives, tickets to the theatre, cinema, concert, whatever. It all depends what she likes. Last parcel could be the big item - watch, jewellery, festival tickets or promise of them?
Exactly what we did - scary, are you me?!
I wrapped up 18 things ranging from a packet of nice chopsticks (she loves Asian food) through a soft toy, a T shirt etc, to the kind of obligatory 18th present here which is a watch. I am perhaps old-fashioned in that I think something enduring is important, even if they don't 'want' it now (I have an issue with kids 'wanting' things, but realise that is personal - to me a gift is about being surprised by thoughtfulness not ticking off a list). DD had no idea we were getting a watch and hadn't really needed it as she had some cheaper ones, but has worn it lots since and been glad she had it. Equally suitable there would be any item of jewellery and it doesn't have to break the bank either. I also made a card using a photo from every year of her life.

DS1's is coming up and I am now trying to replicate the idea for him...but it will have to be with a twist as we can't do exactly the same thing again.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Hi

I have just discovered that you can have personalised Penguin classic mugs ( the ones that look like old fashioned penguin novels ).

I am rubbish at computers so cannot post a link but I googled "personalised penguin classic mugs " and it came up. I am going to have one done for my son's eighteenth, you can chose any book title , am toying with "What's for Supper?" ,put their name as as author and choose what genre ( autobiography, fiction, science etc ) and what colour.

May also have one done for my father with "Miserable Old Git " as the title , but that's another story...
marigold

Post by marigold »

PS Quite a few companies do it, but I think The Literary Gift Company looks the best.
moved

Post by moved »

We bought jewellery and a fountain pen from granny - both things to keep.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

What about a Pandora type charm bracelet, with a couple of charms already on, chosen by each member of the family with their thoughts of something that links to her or her likes...?

The bracelet itself may be more expensive but the charms slightly less so so suits all pockets and gives you something to buy in future years as well.
KB

Post by KB »

You can get books made up as well with their life in pictures type thing.

We and others we know have bought lifetime membership of a variety of organisations. Ranging in price from hundreds to many thousands ( not in our case!!) Not on the cheap end of the scale even so.